GRAPHIC Dead Confederate's?

If yourself or someone with knowldege on Confederate uniforms would be agreeable to write a small summary or description of his uniform, it might be a good idea to start a thread on Confederate uniforms.. I could add the images and someone could write the descriptions..

I think that would be a realy great thred Wilber. I am no expert by far, but it looks to me like he is wearing a Richmond Depot Jacket and Trousers. It looks to me like he is also wearing a military style vest, and rough side out Brogans. his shirt appears to be a well made flannel civilian shirt. That I am afraid is about the extent of my expertise, i will add though that the uniform looks well made and of good cloth. Also I do not believe he had been dead all that long in this photo; there does not appear to be any bloating or discoloration of his skin that I can see.

Sorry to dig up this old thread (pun intended) But that body in the foreground looks to be more than one. I see multiple limbs and a lower jaw. Could it be a hasty grave? A Sad plight for forgotten heroes.

You could be very well correct. I do see the fellow on his side. The lump above and to the left, could be just that a lump of dirt, or another limb. The jaw, could be a trick of the ground. Look to the left and slightly above the main body. It has the shape teeth, but no upper skull, stopping at the nose. Even if I am wrong, this still is one sad picture.

Hmm. As you look up the trench above the two dead soldiers, above the top of the abatis, it seems to me there is at least one, maybe two, more dead men. Maybe I am looking at more debris, but it sure looks like some bodies. (Post #26)

Hmm. As you look up the trench above the two dead soldiers, above the top of the abatis, it seems to me there is at least one, maybe two, more dead men. Maybe I am looking at more debris, but it sure looks like some bodies. (Post #26)​

Yes I saw another view of this picture a few weeks ago somewhere in a book I think. There are more men further up the trench.​

Wilber, do you think you could enlarge the portion above the sharpened stakes on the trench going off to the right? Maybe I'm seeing a backpack or some other item but there seems to be a body just above what looks like a pack. Also, the new stakes - the four white ones in the bottom right - between the center two isn't there a Confederate kepi? Is that the boy's own hat?

p s

I wonder if the second dead fellow got buried by people coming down over the embankment - sliding dirt all over him then tromping it down. Guess they were in a section that was overrun by the enemy?

I looked to Wilber and dont see what Pvt.A.Wells is talking about. There is some debrie that at first glance looks like a skull. I wish i could find the other picture I saw of this section of ditch it showed more of the scene.

Yes I saw another view of this picture a few weeks ago somewhere in a book I think. There are more men further up the trench.​

Any way you could post the other pic that you seen that shows more men further up the trench? I dont believe I have seen that photo.

Im trying to find it, it was in a book I was looking at in Barns & Noble. I think, Ive never seen it before then so Im scouring the enternet. I think it was a Time Life book one of the photo history of the war books.

This one can probably have us going for days. Sorry to bring this one up right before Christmas....

april-1865-petersburg-virginia-dead-confederate-soldier-outside-the-walls-of-fort-mahone.jpg

things to note:

• Again, no braces or trouser belt, yet the braces buttons are present.
  • Some accoutrements are still strapped to his body, but some are missing
  • Enfield and ramrod near by, yet ramrod looks like a Springfield type
  • Button holes on the "mule Ear " pockets like the other photograph
  • Odd rod under his arm
  • Large amount of cartridge papers in a spots immediatly behind him and down the line show where men were indeed loading and firing.
  • Mud is starting to dry

This is the one with the face in the wall of the ditch, this whole series has some amazing photos. I just came across one that has five or six men in a section of the line. Im now wondering if that was the one I saw and the curvature of the ditch and its depth made me think it was part of the same section around the bend.

02553u-30.jpg

My memory is fuzzy but i think the picture I saw shows this as the section of trench just up from or below our original subject. My mind could be putting these two pictures together though.

In the picture in post #116 we again see evidence of the bodies being worked over, as 64th points out some items are missing if you click the picture and zoom in you can see some amazing detail. Look just under his elbow on a line with the point of the pocket that has been turned out so violently as to be ripped and you can see the button laying in the mud that had held the pocket shut. Also above his head is his haversack the strap of which has been cut and it is ripped open to get at the contents. Almost all of the pictures of the dead at Ft Mahone exhibit the same; pockets turned out, jackets ripped open and cut straps on gear that is still on the body. It has been said before that the reason the jackets are open on photos of Civil War dead was that the soldiers did this themselves, searching for the wound. This may be true to some extent but it is just as obviouse in these photos that it was done by someone looking for trophies and valuables.

Back