Dapper Dandy Posing at Cemetery Dedication

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
Here is another detail I found in the background of two famous photographs that has nothing to do with the battle, but I find quite interesting. :D While checking out background details contained in Gardner's iconic photographs taken during the National Cemetery Dedication on November 19, 1863, I noticed that many people seen in the crowd appeared to be looking at and in some cases posing for Gardner's camera. In particular I noticed a young boy dressed in his finest Sunday suit, looking directly into the camera with his hands in his pockets and his hat strategically tipped to one side, in the words of Carly Simon. :bounce: I was then surprised to find the same young man, again posing in a second Gardner image from that historic day. This time his pose was much more dramatic as he had "borrowed" a Springfield rifle from one of the soldiers awaiting Lincoln's speech and appears to be performing a perfect "order arms" while looking directly into Gardner's camera. Not only did this young fellow witness history that day, he became part of it.
boy at ded.jpg

Is that the soldier sitting behind him on the ground, keeping a close watch on his gun? That little brat better not run off with it!
He certainly is paying attention, but if you look closely you can see that soldier's rifle is laying on the ground with his foot on it. He must have gotten the rifle from a different soldier. Good comment.

I have probably seen those photos at least a thousand times and have never noticed that. Him doing the rifle thing today with the President sooooo close would had him playing a harp solo.....how times have changed!!! LOL :laugh:

I have probably seen those photos at least a thousand times and have never noticed that. Him doing the rifle thing today with the President sooooo close would had him playing a harp solo.....how times have changed!!! LOL :laugh:
Good point, but also keep in mind that 100 years later, President Kennedy was touring this very field driving himself in a convertible with the top down.

He certainly is paying attention, but if you look closely you can see that soldier's rifle is laying on the ground with his foot on it. He must have gotten the rifle from a different soldier. Good comment.
Now that you've got me looking more closely at that area of the photo, what's the thing that looks like a fencepost, that is covering the rifle where the muzzle and bayonet connect--or could be a fence post if it weren't transparent. It must be something moveable, that moved just as the picture was taken and therefore became transparent, so it can't be a fence post, but it looks so fence-posty. I guess we need to see an example of the whole photo to see what it is.

Now that you've got me looking more closely at that area of the photo, what's the thing that looks like a fencepost, that is covering the rifle where the muzzle and bayonet connect--or could be a fence post if it weren't transparent. It must be something moveable, that moved just as the picture was taken and therefore became transparent, so it can't be a fence post, but it looks so fence-posty. I guess we need to see an example of the whole photo to see what it is.
I agree it appears something or someone moved during the exposure. Here is the entire photo with no magnification so it may be difficult to pick out the young man posing-see him?
00673v.jpg

I agree it appears something or someone moved during the exposure. Here is the entire photo with no magnification so it may be difficult to pick out the young man posing-see him?
View attachment 119502
It kinda matches the span between the soldiers legs (the 2 standing right in front). Maybe sunlight coming through the gap between the one man's left leg and the other ones right leg.

Yes, I see him, just above and to the right of that boy all alone looking at the camera. I see the fence posty thing and it's got to be a person, but can't tell because it's so small.

Back