Culp's Hill Brady Assistants-Then and Now

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
First, I want to say thanks for the interest shown in some of my posts, especially the then and nows. The "then and now " format used by William Frassanito in his ground breaking Gettysburg book, Journey in Time, is what first sparked my interest in Gettysburg more than 20 years ago. Since then I have travelled to Gettysburg many times and attempted to recreate as many of the then and nows in the Frassanito books as I can locate.
Here is one of my favorites, for a number of reasons. First, the original Mathew Brady photograph was taken o/a July 15, 1863 on Culp's Hill. Brady posed two of his assistants sitting behind the stout Union breastworks. These breastworks and the men fighting behind them, repelled numerous Confederate attacks on July 2nd and 3rd. The position was held by men from the 78th and 102nd NY whose monument can be seen on the right of my now shot below. Also of interest in this image is the small sapling seen just behind the assistants. This tree survived and stands today as one of the documented witness trees on the battlefield. The line where the breastworks stood is now marked by an earthen mound as seen in the photo.
combo ch1.jpg

Back