Culpeper’s last Civil War battle, September 19, 1864: Yankees retreat in haste

Old Bay

Sergeant
http://www.dailyprogress.com/starex...cle_1a645200-4310-11e4-9b3a-0017a43b2370.html

By Clark B. Hall - Culpeper County Civil War Historian

Crossing Kelly’s Ford 150 years ago on September 18, little did Federal attackers realize they were about to make history in two distinctive respects: First, they inaugurated the last Civil War battle in Culpeper County—the most fought over county in the entire country—and secondly, the invaders’ conclusive defeat ensured Culpeper’s final battle would be solidly won by Confederate soldiers.

Commanded by Col. Henry M. Lazelle, a Massachusetts West Pointer, the 13th and 16th New York Cavalry Regiments traversed the Rappahannock with “raiding as our sole objective,” as one New Yorker boasted. The Bluecoats proceeded rapidly through eastern Culpeper, crossed the Rapidan at Raccoon Ford, and arrived just across the river from “Rapid Ann Station” (Rapidan), a rail stop on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad.

Easily rousting the small Rebel defense force early on the morning of September 19, the Yankees torched the railroad bridge and freight depot; several private residences; a couple of railroad cars; a telegraph office, and a large gristmill. With Rapid Ann Station now destroyed and several civilians seized as “prisoners of war,” the marauding Unionists galloped north toward Culpeper Court House, and while en route, they burned the depot at Mitchell’s Station.

The reckless Federals intended to attack Culpeper, itself, as their commander believed “there was no considerable force to be encountered.” Colonel Lazelle and his New Yorkers soon discovered, however, that an entire division of Confederate infantry under General Joseph Kershaw had just arrived in Culpeper from the Valley!

And as the Federal cavalry pounded directly toward hundreds of enemy soldiers camped near Pony Mountain, they would soon learn the hard lesson that attacking a lightly guarded rail station is one thing; but mounted assaults against enemy infantry supported by artillery comprises quite another tactical challenge.

Arriving south of town with his 300 troopers, Colonel Lazelle looked east and to his amazement observed Southern infantry and artillery entrenched high upon the slopes of Pony Mountain.

Instead of leaving well enough alone, however, the rash Colonel Lazelle “threw out a line of skirmishers.” This intrepid tactic prompted an injurious response to the Federals as a heavy counter-attack sent the New Yorkers fleeing “in great disorder.” Colonel Lazelle acknowledged his column degenerated into “flying fugitives of both officers and men...”

“My contemplated trip to Culpeper Court House was abandoned,” Colonel Lazelle laconically reported, and he rapidly retreated north of the Rappahannock, but not before losing 28 troopers, with 11 more wounded. Confederate casualties were practically non-existent and most of the captured civilians had escaped.

As to Colonel Labelle’s military fate, he resigned his commission a month later, but for some bizarre reason, he was later (1879) appointed “Commandant of Cadets” at West Point.

But Colonel Henry M. Lazelle’s military legacy must also include the hard truth that he lost the last Civil War battle in Culpeper County—150 years ago, September 19.

Last edited:
But Colonel Henry M. Lazelle’s military legacy must also include the hard truth that he lost the last Civil War battle in Culpeper County—150 years ago, September 19.

He also lost probably the first battle in Texas in the spring of 1861, as an officer stationed at Ft. Bliss, which was surrendered to Confederate forces at that time. He was a POW for about a year before exchange.

Nice find - thanks for posting.

Lazelle, like many other Federal officers, held two commissions, one as a Captain in the Regular Army and the other as a Colonel in the Volunteer Army. He resigned his Volunteer Army commission in October, 1864, but continued to serve in the Regular Army. Lazelle served in numerous field and post commands in the west in addition to his stint at West Point. He retired as a full Colonel in November, 1894. You'll also be pleased to note that Lazelle was brevetted Major in the Regular Army for "Gallant and Meritorious Services in Action near Culpeper, Va" to date from September 19, 1864.
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer..._States/Army/USMA/Cullums_Register/1706*.html

Last edited:
Thought about you, Eric, and figured you had probably seen it. Popped up on my facebook page and thought I'd share. It was an action that I had not been previously aware of myself.

Honestly, I hadn't either, until Bud sent me the draft.

I spent last weekend in your lovely town--Friday at Cedar Mountain, dinner at Luigi's, and then Saturday at Brandy Station and lunch at the Hazel River Inn before driving home to Ohio. I'm a big fan of Culpeper. For a small town, you have some spectacular restaurants there.

You spend a lot of time in my old stomping grounds! I got an email from the Mosby Heritage Area Assoc. that you'll be part of the Art of Command series in Middleburg next weekend. I went to the Catholic Church there growing up.

You spend a lot of time in my old stomping grounds! I got an email from the Mosby Heritage Area Assoc. that you'll be part of the Art of Command series in Middleburg next weekend. I went to the Catholic Church there growing up.

I've been very deeply involved in the preservation effort at Brandy Station for years now, and I'm researching to do a book on Cedar Mountain. I have many more trips to the area to make. :smile:

Yes, I am on the program at Middleburg next week. I do that program most years--it's probably my favorite program that I do each year.

You must know Richard Deardorff. He taught at my high school. I never had him as a teacher but was in the Civil War Roundtable club that he sponsored.

Back