Authentic Crawdads or crayfish to some folks

I will say, no one has discussed using a plastic swimming pool to clean the little critters. My friends in East Texas used to keep a little wading pool from Wally World just for crawfish. After you catch 'em, they need a little bath. They'd just run cold water through the pool for a while, letting the crawfish "clean out" if you get my drift....then you boil. I think the last part of the rinsing involved salt as well, but I was usually sitting under a tree drinking iced tea by then :smile:

I'd think these folks knew what they were doing...their last name was Thibodeaux. :smile: No Boudreaux. :smile:

I do realize there were no Wally Worlds or wading pool in the ACW, and probably if you're really hungry you wouldn't be too picky about intestinal muddiness. :smile:

I hear you. It must have been Lake Charles as that is where my first memory of eating them happened. I do love them. Of course I like picking blue crabs also. Ever heard crawfish or mud bugs called craw dads? Now that I think about it I don't know of any shellfish that I do not enjoy. Oh well at least I have that going for me. <g>

eh not that often but i have heard it.

Reactions: Lee
I've never had crawdads - what's crawling around in our streams is something I don't know the English for. I'll bet it's quite similar, though. They are meaty, sweet tasting, and very much a pincher! The time of year to get them is early spring when they wrap themselves in little rock houses.

2 t0 3 dozen crawdads, gathered from nearby stream. UPSTREAM from where the men have bathed, relieved themselves, or exercised the horses. Chop or twist off upper body of crawdad and throw them to company dog, as only the tail has enough meat to be worth eating.

2 to 3 dz? we cooked 60lbs last weekend plus the corn, sausage, taters, onions and garlic. Feed the heads to the dogs:nah disagree: you suck the heads and eat the tails:D and don't forget the Sam Adams:cold:

boil.jpg

Sorry, but I could never eat anything I use for bait.

I spent 10 glorious weeks in your GREAT Garden State at Fort Dix and fishing wasn't on the schedule so I don't know how big the fish are but they must be HUGE to take a crawfish as big as my hand.

I spent 10 glorious weeks in your GREAT Garden State at Fort Dix and fishing wasn't on the schedule so I don't know how big the fish are but they must be HUGE to take a crawfish as big as my hand.
Since you asked, Fort Dix is in the geographic region of the Pine barrens. Crayfish are rare, if present at all in this region because the water is quite acidic. Crayfish, like all crustaceans, need limestone to build their shells and the waters of the Pinelands don't provide that. That said, the waters further west that are part of the Delaware drainage system, or further north of the Fall Line are filled with bass, both large mouth and small mouth and in tidal waters of the Delaware, striped bass. They love crayfish more than the original poster and they can handle any crayfish found in these waters, which, admittedly are about the size of my granddaughter's hand (2 1/2 years old). If you go back to fort Dix try minnows for the good size and good eating pickerel.

Oh mais! De crawfish dey gettin cheaper down here. But just saw we may go into da crawfish expoclylpse. Dey got some bad bugs in dose bugs.. Prices goin up!
My favorite tune when I'm boilin
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FpACabBpg2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Steve Riley! So authentic.
Anyway if you wanna boil some crawfish, throw in some sweet potatoes with your boil.. It's awesome! Some ole boys from down in Terrebonne showed me dat!

Actually, boiling these little lobsters aren't the only way to serve crawfish.

Personally my two favorites are Crawfish Étouffée :
View attachment 139655
http://www.thecherryshare.com/food/how-to-make-crawfish-etouffee

And Crawfish Fettuccine Alfredo:
View attachment 139657
http://emerils.com/122242/crawfish-fettuccini

Oh yeah, music and a cold beverage are required ingredients no matter how you cook em'.
I enjoy listening to the Beauregard Boys doing their version of " parlez nous a boire ". :dance:

Back