Cotton Bales used as Breastworks

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
Daily Federal Union, Nov. 13, 1861 -- page 1 Milledgeville, Ga
Daily Federal Union, Nov. 13, 1861 -- page 1.png

Daily Federal Union, Nov. 13, 1861 -- page 1 Milledgeville, Ga
View attachment 111671
Shelby Foote wrote about General "Pap" Sterling having his men use bales of cotton has mobile breastworks. His men supposedly just rolled the bales up towards the Union forces until they broke through the Union lines. Maybe Borderruffian or one of our other Missouri members might know more about this.
Leftyhunter

Cotton bales were used at least once in the Civil War too at the Siege of Vicksburg. Yankees used a cotton clad car behind which they could dig their approach trenches. Finally one Confederate figured out to put a bit of turpentine soaked cotton into the base of his minie ball. He fired it into the cotton and after a while, it smoldered. Other men joined in and despite the Union soldiers' best efforts to extinguish it, their cotton clad car caught fire.

Returning to New Orleans, I had an article published back in 2003. It has been reprinted here:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/LoneMarksmanRevisited.asp

On August 31, 1862, 150 Union soldiers took shelter inside a cotton bale fort at Medon Station, Tennessee. They held back three regiments of Confederate cavalry under the overall command of Brigadier General Frank Armstrong.

yes I have heard about some southern boys roaming cotton bales against the enemy I personally think it was a great idea why not it gets you may need to be in one piece I like it cotton bowl thanks.

Back