Copse of Trees Image Only 13 Years After the Battle

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
The earliest image I have found of the Copse of Trees shown below was taken by William Tipton in 1876. The umbrella shaped Copse is on the right and the Angle is in the middle of the four trees at center of frame. Until last year, I believe the view was from near the Emmitsburg Road straight out from the COT. After more careful examination, it became clear that Tipton's camera was only about half way between the Copse and the ER and was much farther to the left than I originally had believed. The fence running north (left) from the Angle was the key to identifying the proper location. You can see the same fence in my matching now photo I took last September.
angle combo1.jpg

The fence running north (left) from the Angle was the key to identifying the proper location. You can see the same fence in my matching now photo I took last September

The fence is key to understanding this picture! The copse has changed so much (as living things do) that I rely on the sentinels -- natural and otherwise -- to give me a point of reference.

Interesting to see that the "Copse" is about 3 trees in 1876, and a large foreground of bushes. None of the trees that are currently surrounded by the familiar and foreboding black iron fences at that spot are witness trees, btw. At best they are second generation volunteers from the trees once were there.

Reactions: WJC
Back