Contest for Best Dip

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I thought be fun if had contest for best dip. It is Super Bowl time and many will be serving chips and dips.

I will start but mine doesn't count.

My Mom's Dip

4 slices of bacon
1 8oz. pkg. of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup finely mixed onion
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup finely mixed celery
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cook bacon and crumble. Mix cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Stir everything else into the sour cream and cream cheese. Refrigerate until served.

Look forward to many of you posting your favorite dip. Good luck!

Mother's Holiday Party Dip:
1 cup mayonnaise
8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 T sliced green onion
1/2 t Worchestershire
8 oz Sour Cream
2 T chopped pimento
2 t beef instant bullion
1/4 t garlic powder

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover, chill. Stir before serving. Garnish with green onion. Serve with vegetables or crackers. Refrigerate leftovers (if any).

Mother's Tex-Mex Dip:
8 oz cream cheesse, softened
4 oz can green chilies
4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 15 oz cans chili without beans
8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Spread cream cheese over the bottom of a pie plate. Top with chilies, chili and cheeses. bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve warm with corn chips.

Spinach Dip:
12 oz carton 1% low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
2 t grated fresh onion
1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup dry vegetable soup mix
1 t lemon juice

Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add cottage cheese. Process until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl once. Place in a medium bowl and set aside. Press spinach between paper towels until barely moist. Add spinach to remaining ingredients to cheese mixture; stir well. Cover and refrigerate three hours. Serve with crackers, bread-sticks or raw veggies. Yield: 3 cups at about 14 calories per T and 1 cholesterol.

...and my favorite...Nacho Dip:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
10 1/2 oz can jalapeno bean dip
5 drops hot sauce (or depending upon personal preference)
1/4 cup taco sauce
1 1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
8 oz Sour Cream
1 1/4 oz chili seasoning mix
2 t chopped fresh parsley
1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Combine cream cheese and sour cream; beat until smooth. Stir in bean dip, chili seasoning mix, hot sauce, parsley, taco sauce, 3/4 cup each of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 12X8X2 inch baking dish; top with remaining cheeses. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot with tortilla chips.

Spinach Dip

This is an old recipe that predates the vegetable soup mix spinach dip.

1 box frozen chopped spinach
mayonnaise
salt
Tabasco sauce
green onions, chopped

Cook frozen spinach per package directions. Cool and drain thoroughly until spinach is a small ball--works best in a dish towel. Add green onions, mayonnaise and salt and tabasco to taste until it becomes a spreadable dip.

Serve with rye toast crackers.

This is a traditional New Orleans dip, an oldie but goodie:

NEW ORLEANS SHRIMP DIP MOLD

1 can tomato soup
¾ cup green onions, chopped
2 cans cocktail shrimp
1 small pack unflavored gelatin mixed with ¼ cup of shrimp juice
8 oz cream cheese
¾ cup celery, finely chopped
1 cup mayonnaise

Heat undiluted tomato soup and pour over softened cream cheese and mix well until smooth. Add gelatin mixed with shrimp water and mix well. Add mayonnaise, celery & onions & shrimp. Pour into a well oiled mold and place in refrigerator over night for mold to set well. Unmold and serve with club crackers—this makes a lot.

This works for a large party--it's a large amount of dip.

Donna, your Mom's dip looks amazing! Will have to try it as I do love bacon and pecans but have never mixed them together before!

PeterT the avocado dip sounds easy and yummy, thanks for sharing your wife's recipe!

Spicy Yogurt Hummus Dip

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sweet Chili Sauce
  • 1 cup prepared hummus (I use the Sabra classic hummus)
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I use the plain Fage Greek yogurt)
  • 1 Tbsp. Frank's Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. minced cilantro
  • 1 tsp. curry powder (if you don't like curry it taste just good if you omit it)
  • 1/2 tsp. finely minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp. lime juice
Directions - Combine all ingredients. Chill.

Serve with cut-up vegetables. Very tasty and healthy!

My favorite is a pineapple dip Mom used to make. A package of cream cheese, a bit of mayonnaise, a can of crushed pineapple and chopped pecans or walnuts if you wanted. That's all there was to it! It was very good with fruit, crackers, salty potato chips and even as a spread. It's very elegant, as well - cleans up nice! :laugh:

Recently I ran across a very good variation of this:

http://www.hungryharps.com/2014/06/cheesy-pineapple-dip-with-bacon.html

This is some effort but well worth it! A spicy chip, such as they recommend, is great but I found plain kettle chips or the Hawaiian Onion ones to be superb...

Cucumber Dill Dip:
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, chopped
1/2 t hot pepper sauce
2 T sliced green onion
1 T lemon juice
2 t snipped fresh dill or 1/2 t dried dill weed

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed. Cover and chill. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Guacamole Dip
4 large avocados
1 large lime
2 jalapeno peppers
1 tomatillo
2 Roma tomatoes
1 clove garlic
Kosher salt to taste (I use a good sized palm full)

I prefer smooth and my wife prefers chunky. I use a food processor to get the avocados to a nice creamy consistency if making for myself and use a spud masher when sharing with her. The remainder of the ingredients get sliced diced chopped and smashed down to nubbins and added to the avocado. Last step, juice the lime and mix well to avoid browning, toss in the salt and grab a bag of chips.

When making for myself, I leave all the seeds in, when sharing, I seed everything.

One of my favorites is Dog Food Dip. Fry up a pound or two of hamburger with an onion, add a can of cheddar cheese soup, and some salsa or jalapenos. Sometimes I use Rotel - that's good! It should come out looking like this:

11383-930-mx.jpg

Feed the dog FIRST! Don't mix up the dishes... :x3: This recipe is really fun to play with - you can add refried beans, use Velveeta, so on. Almost can't mess it up!

Attachments

• 11383-930-mx.jpg
    11383-930-mx.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 18
Here's a simple but good one you can whip up in short order:

1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 medium green onions, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1 15 oz. can artichoke hearts; drain and cut into small pieces
a couple of finely chopped jalapeno peppers if you like spicy; optional

mix everything in an ungreased 1 qt. microwavable casserole dish
cover and microwave on medium high 4-5 minutes (that's what works with my oven), stirring at two minutes

serve with chips or crackers

Last edited:
Another sweet dip, very good for a fruit plate, is 2 pkgs (8 oz) cream cheese mixed with 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tub (8 oz) Cool Whip. You mix the cream cheese and sugar together, then blend in the Cool Whip. (Real whipped cream can be used as well but it won't be as fluffy!)

And, cream cheese is the silly putty of the food world! You can add powdered sugar, vanilla, orange zest and orange juice - cream together thoroughly...and this tastes like an Orange Julius! :thumbsup:

Back