Confederate Shell Jacket from Georgia

IMG_0907 (2).JPG

This jacket appears to be a homemade copy of a shell jacket, textile analysis indicates it was made of period cloth. The jacket is lined in linen, somewhat unusual, but many uniform pieces are found with similar type adaptations. Les Jensen believes the lining to be part of an old bedding or table cloth utilized as necessary. There are initials on the interior pocket, but the identity of the owner will forever remain unknown. The jacket exhibits very heavy use and wear (heavily sweat stained) and has a few period repairs. Appears to be entirely hand sewn, which would be consistent with a local seamstress made garment. The buttons are all general service federal, which may be original to the coat or placed there soon after the war so that it may be worn in public. The jacket came with a nice but fragile linen haversack of known Confederate manufacture. Where the interior seams are split, you can see a more vibrant gray color, now faded to a butternut hue. The piece has a 9 button front and appears to be a size 1
IMG_0910 (2).JPG
IMG_0912 (2).JPG
IMG_0906 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice jacket has to be late war with the US eagle buttons

Nice. A size one? This poor Southern Soldier needed to put on the feedback a bit more growing up. I doubt a size one would have fit me in 7th grade, may not even in 5th or 6th grade.
Thanks, since I have opened the vault, I'll post a couple of pieces a day, to help out the uniform forum. A collection should be shared and mine has been locked away for too long.

Either that or the buttons were replaced post war so that he could wear it in public, but I agree it is 63-64 as it is patterned after a type III.
In the late war brass buttons for the CS were a luxury. The brass was needed for other things, oh maybe fuses and percussion caps. Here is one for a Lt. that was made in 1864 and all the buttons are US Eagle Staff Officers buttons.
IMG_20150619_094100968.jpg

Back