wilber6150

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
deep in the Mohawk Valley of Central New York
1557416497973.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that.

Any idea where this was taken?

The railroad cars all seem to be marked USMRR for the US Military Railroad, so it could be just about anyplace from that. I didn't see any other identifying marks.

The guards in the picture sure seem relaxed!:smile:

Tim

Thanks for posting that.

Any idea where this was taken?

The railroad cars all seem to be marked USMRR for the US Military Railroad, so it could be just about anyplace from that. I didn't see any other identifying marks.

The guards in the picture sure seem relaxed!:smile:

Tim

In most images that I have seen where both guards and prisoners can be seen, the guards have always seemd relaxed lol But who knows whats out of sight of the camera, a regiment or a artillery piece double loaded with cannister just in case lol

Neat picture, what I note is that the prisoners all seem to be well outfitted; hats, shoes, coats, uniforms. Some have canteens and others seem to have parcels of possessions lying on the ground. Not the picture of the under supplied Confederate Army I might have expected at this stage of the war.

Well clothed, no obvious patches, not one man sans shoes. IIRC these were men who had been taken prisoner @ Missionary Ridge & were destined for Rock Island.

Can you zoom to the box car, center, and the group of men in front of it? And maybe the camp in the bacground? Wont see much in it but you never know. Thanks Wil!

Back