Confederate Positions South of South Fort on Warrenton Road

Chris74

Private
In studying some of the siege maps, I notice there were two confederate positions quite a bit south of South Fort on Warrenton Road well outside of the siege line. The maps that show the positions are maps showing positions during the siege I believe. Were these positions actually occupied by confederate troops during the siege, or did the troops fall back into town? I have never seen these positions mentioned in any writings, so I wonder who or what they were exactly. I appreciate any information any of you may be able to provide. Thanks in advance.

Link to map showing the two confederate positions south of South Fort.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3984v.cw0285000/

upload_2017-2-14_10-39-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-14_10-38-43.png
    upload_2017-2-14_10-38-43.png
    430.5 KB · Views: 138
  • upload_2017-2-14_10-39-30.png
    upload_2017-2-14_10-39-30.png
    522.9 KB · Views: 152
In studying some of the siege maps, I notice there were two confederate positions quite a bit south of South Fort on Warrenton Road well outside of the siege line. The maps that show the positions are maps showing positions during the siege I believe. Were these positions actually occupied by confederate troops during the siege, or did the troops fall back into town? I have never seen these positions mentioned in any writings, so I wonder who or what they were exactly. I appreciate any information any of you may be able to provide. Thanks in advance.

Link to map showing the two confederate positions south of South Fort.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3984v.cw0285000/

View attachment 123880
There were some further south of South Fort during the bombardment of Vicksburg by Farragut's warships in 1862. The batteries were at various places,along the river,ending with the batteries at Warrenton. Many were manned till the order was given to move within the siege lines.

#s 152 and 150 look like redoubts. Possibly they were for observation. Hood built redoubts outside his lines at Nashville.

Back