Confederate Navy Engineer?

AndyHall

Colonel
Naval Officer Cropped.jpg

A recent addition to the Liljenquist Collection at the LoC -- and by recent, I mean April 2014 -- is this image of an unidentified Confederate naval officer. Looking closely at his cap insignia, under the hand-applied gilt and flopped left-for-right, I think he's either a Second- or Third Assistant Engineer, with am Old English letter E inside the wreath. Thoughts?

Expired Image Removed
Expired Image Removed

Naval Officer Cropped Closeup.jpg

Last edited:
I think you're right, 2nd or 3rd. He's wearing a heavy uniform that fits him very well - an expensive thing at the time.

I think you're right, 2nd or 3rd. He's wearing a heavy uniform that fits him very well - an expensive thing at the time.

Yes, that looks like a by-the-book uniform. No half-measures there. Wish we knew who he was. Liljenquist purchased it from a dealer in North Carolina.

I've no idea if they do, but I hope the folks at LOC examine these pics carefully for inscriptions that may identify them.

I'm kinda surprised the photo is in "poor" condition. Maybe all the pristine condition photos have been donated. Tom Liljenquist has donated a sizable amount of money to the LOC with the photos. 1243 photos. Maybe 10% are the cases. Figure 1,100 photos. Is $500 per photo a fair estimate? That's $550,000!

Back