Confederate conscription in Tennessee

Billy1977

Sergeant
Hello everybody, I have a question about Confederate conscription in Tennessee. As far as I knew the Confederate government didn't institute conscription until about a week after the Battle of Shiloh. But today I read in the Official Records the following bit of information from a report by Grant on 13 March 1862 about a skirmish that happened two days earlier, at Paris, Tennessee in which Grant says "Learning that rebel troops had assembled at Paris for the purpose of enforcing conscription orders of Governor Harris, I sent night before last a portion of Curtis' Horse, Fifty-second Indiana, and Bulliss' battery."
http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;idno=waro0010;node=waro0010:3;view=image;seq=34;size=100;page=root

What "conscription orders" could Grant be referring to since it was early March and it would be another month before the Confederate Congress would even authorize conscription? Maybe it is something to do with some Tennessee militia or something, maybe there was a Tennessee militia and Harris was calling it into service and it was assembling at Paris and Grant is inaccurately referring to this as "conscription"? Other than that I can't imagine what Grant could be talking about since I doubt Isham Harris would try to enforce conscription of his own accord without permission from the central government. Anybody know anything about this?

Further, in the report about this skirmish by Capt. John Croft of the 5th Iowa Cavalry, Croft says "Proceeded with Bullis' battery of St. Louis and the First Battalion of Curtis' Horse [Fifth Iowa Cavalry] to Henry County, Tennessee, to afford protection to Union men, friends, and citizens of that county, who wished protection from being drafted on the 12th at Paris, Tenn. Large numbers fell in and traveled in our rear for such protection."
http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;idno=waro0010;node=waro0010:3;view=image;seq=36;size=100;page=root

Again, how is this possible? Surely Gov. Isham Harris would not have taken it upon himself to make the decision to enact conscription in his state and begin to enforce it a month before the Confederate Congress would even take up the issue, right? Wouldn't that be illegal and wouldn't the Davis administration in Richmond have put a stop to it? But why would all those pro-Union residents of Paris, Tennessee be convinced they were about to be drafted? I don't get it.

Confusing the issue even further, Maj. Gen. Leonidas Polk's brief report or message about the skirmish at Paris, Tenn. says that the units that were stationed there were "Major King's battalion of mounted rifles" (which were apparently from Kentucky) and "two large companies of cavalry".
http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;idno=waro0010;node=waro0010:3;view=image;seq=37;size=100;page=root

Polk says nothing about enforcing some conscription law, nothing about anyone being drafted or being saved from being drafted by the appearance of Union troops. The waters just get muddier...

Last edited:
I am not sure the specific Intel Grant had regarding Paris. However, TN Gov Harris had published a statement on Feb 19:

"As Governor of your State and Commander-in-chief of its army, I call upon every able-bodied man of the State, without regard to age, to enlist in its service. I command him who can obtain a weapon to march with our armies. I ask him who can repair or forge an arm, to make it ready at once for the soldier. I call upon every citizen to open his purse and his storehouses of provisions to the brave defenders of our soil. I bid the old and the young, wherever they may be, to stand as pickets to our struggling armies.

Leaving the officers of State to the immediate discharge of their duties, I repair to the field, and again invoke you to follow me to the battle wherein the fortunes of all are to be lost or won. Orders to the militia will be issued with this proclamation, designating the rendezvous, and giving such other directions as may be necessary and proper. I am pleased to accompany this proclamation with the assurance that active aid and hearty support will be given you by the Confederate Government."

Thanks Eric! I was not aware that Gov. Harris issued this proclamation, thanks for posting it. So as he says "orders to the militia will be issued with this proclamation designating the rendezvous..." would you think that what was happening in Paris was that the militia was being called into service and that every able-bodied man was considered by default to be a member of the militia whether he had chosen to be or not, and was now expected to muster in?

Thanks Eric! I was not aware that Gov. Harris issued this proclamation, thanks for posting it. So as he says "orders to the militia will be issued with this proclamation designating the rendezvous..." would you think that what was happening in Paris was that the militia was being called into service and that every able-bodied man was considered by default to be a member of the militia whether he had chosen to be or not, and was now expected to muster in?

Yes, with the state of things in Tennessee, the CS forces rapidly retreating southward, Harris saw fit to push forward conscription, get as many guys as possible before the Union forces moved in. In some circles this might be called "executive overreach."

Whether Grant got the information from spies, citizens, or from just reading the newspapers, I can't say. Grant seems to have very specific information:

FORT HENRY,
March 10, 1862.
Maj. Gen. H. W. HALLECK, Saint Louis, Mo.:
To-morrow is the day when all persons of proper age are to be en- rolled in this State in the rebel army. Troops are now in Paris to enforce the order of Governor Harris. I am concentrating the small force under my command on the west bank of the river, to defeat their object as far as lays in my power.
U. S. GRANT, Major-General.

HEADQUARTERS DISTRICT OF WEST TENNESSEE,
Fort Henry, March 11, 1862.
Col. W. W, LOWE,
Commanding Curtis Horse:
The reports of E. Y. Shelly and Lieut. N. N. Wheeler are just received. From their fullness they are most satisfactory, and you may say to those gentlemen that when subordinates take such pains to state a full condition of affairs their course will always meet with a most hearty approval from their commander, no matter who he may be. You will move toward Paris, Tenn., with your forces, as soon as possible, and protect the citizens as far as possible from conscription. I will not probably be here to say just when you should return, so that in this matter you will have to use your own discretion. In your absence it may be necessary to get forage from citizens. In all such cases receipts will be given for the. amount taken, and the forage accounted for as if obtained in the regular way.
U. S. GRANT,
Major- General, Commanding.

Tennessee began training new recruits before the State voted to seceed from the Union. The State was on the "front lines" and under direct threat of attack. I can imagine the Govenor taking these necessary steps to protect the citizens of his state.

Forrest and others used raids as part of the "conscription draft" effort that was used in some areas under Federal Control. Missouri while not "really" sedeced also had both Shelby abd Marmaduke doing the same at times. Just because a state or area was under Federal control did not protect its men from Conscription by the CS.

Back