Complete (not created) Grape/ Canister from Shipwreck / Civil War

miamibeachcg

Cadet
Hello forum,
I found 2 boxes of a antique milatary/nautical collection in a storage auction (like on the tv show) that contained some remarkable pieces (including a jar full of musket balls & rock flints, a 1890 sextant, 2 1700-1800 mallets or brandy/wine bottles, loose canister ball ammo from 3" to 6", etc..) - but the most rare piece I believe I have is a complete grape shot or canister. I've looked for others for sale & have only found reconstructed ones from ammo dug up or found.
Is mine the real thing? It looks like one of the balls in it is broken & made of wood or clay, which surprised me. But reading up on grape shot & related articles, I found that near the end of the war clay balls painted with zinc & other metals were used as the metal supply was used up - is that true?
Hopefully I can post a photo or two here.
I greatly appreciate any help with this.

shipwreckclumpofmusketballs1aRESIZED_zpsf763367d.jpg

shipwreckclumpofmusketballs2aRESIZED_zps223c2f95.jpg

This canister round has been exposed to saltwater for a long time and the iron has deteriated to the extent of desolving. This is what appears to be wood and clay. The answer to your last question is probably no. I've never seen such canister balls. Your cannister has also been infiltrated with sand and marine deposits.

But is it valuable?
Thanks

This canister round has been exposed to saltwater for a long time and the iron has deteriated to the extent of desolving. This is what appears to be wood and clay. The answer to your last question is probably no. I've never seen such canister balls. Your cannister has also been infiltrated with sand and marine deposits.

Back