Colorized Cavalry Officer

jpro

Corporal
Here is a image ( identity unknown) I had in my collection that @ColorizedPast took
and made come alive!
Here of late he mostly post his work of well known Generals, but I like the fact that this cavalry officer is unknown but not forgotten thanks to this forum and his work!
Enjoy

IMG_0667.JPG

The only negative observation I have is that his kepi or forage cap appears to be tinted blue. if you look closely, you can see it's shiny, indicating that what you're looking at is actually a removable cover and these were tarred canvas or rubberized so likely black in either case.

The only negative observation I have is that his kepi or forage cap appears to be tinted blue. if you look closely, you can see it's shiny, indicating that what you're looking at is actually a removable cover and these were tarred canvas or rubberized so likely black in either case.

Thxs. James N I agree. Still believe he did a great job though!!

I think the subject is a corporal and not an officer. The two stripes on his sleeve would indicate the rank of corporal.
Correct! A non commissioned officer! should have just stated a corporal!!
Thanks , and hope you enjoyed the colorizing!!

if you look closely, you can see it's shiny, indicating that what you're looking at is actually a removable cover and these were tarred canvas or rubberized so likely black in either case.

I don't know any details but wouldn't it be black? I'm just basing that on the painted canvas packs and straps. However I've never seen on that was as shiny as this cap.

I think the subject is a corporal and not an officer. The two stripes on his sleeve would indicate the rank of corporal.
That is a cavalry Shell Jacket. I believe it was made for comfort while swinging his sabre and firing his rifle with ease. The "stripes" was just a part of the design. There was two "Stripes" on the back that ran from each shoulder and stopped at each side of the waist.

That is a cavalry Shell Jacket. I believe it was made for comfort while swinging his sabre and firing his rifle with ease. The "stripes" was just a part of the design. There was two "Stripes" on the back that ran from each shoulder and stopped at each side of the waist.

The "stripes" you mention were set into the back seams of the six-piece jacket and ended with two little pillow-shaped pads that were in theory supposed to help support the waist belt with its heavy load of saber, revolver, cap pouch, and pistol cartridge box. These weren't particularly popular with many of the troopers who thought they were uncomfortable when lounging around in camp because they prevented sitting or lying against them. To indicate their dislike the men called them bounty jumpers and often cut them off if they thought they could get away with it!

Here is a image ( identity unknown) I had in my collection that @ColorizedPast took
and made come alive!
Here of late he mostly post his work of well known Generals, but I like the fact that this cavalry officer is unknown but not forgotten thanks to this forum and his work!
Enjoy

View attachment 122609
I admire your work! Thanks for sharing!
One question about this photo (unrelated to color). The Corporal's hat seems shiny: what material would it have been? I've always assumed (there I go again....) that the hats were wool, which ought not shine....

I admire your work! Thanks for sharing!
One question about this photo (unrelated to color). The Corporal's hat seems shiny: what material would it have been? I've always assumed (there I go again....) that the hats were wool, which ought not shine....

See my entry above at post #5.

See my entry above at post #5.
Thanks for your response!
I had not noticed the numbering scheme for posts: now I know.
I also wasn't aware that there was a "removable cover" for the kepi. I thought perhaps it was some sort of a foul weather issue rubber cap, although I'd never heard of that.
Every day is a good day when one learns something new; today I learned two new things....

Back