Col. George Doles' Sharpsburg report?

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XI/2 [S# 13]
PENINSULAR CAMPAIGN--SEVEN DAYS' BATTLES
No. 266. -- Report of Brig. Gen. Roswell S. Ripley, C. S. Army, of the battles of Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill, and Malvern Hill.
HDQRS. FIFTH BRIGADE, D. H. HILL'S DIVISION,
Near Richmond, Va., July 11, 1862.
MAJOR: I have the honor to report that on the morning of Thursday, June 26, the brigade under my command, consisting of the First and Third Regiments North Carolina troops and Forty-fourth and Forty-eighth Regiments of Georgia Volunteers, marched from its position near the Williamsburg road, about 5 miles from Richmond, to a point in the vicinity of the batteries commanding the bridge over the Chickahominy River, on the Mechanicsville turnpike.

[extensive excerpt, not germane to Capt. S. Thurston or 3rd NC)

The aggregate force which entered into the series of engagements on June 26 was 2,366, including pioneers and the ambulance corps. Of this our loss has been 45 officers and 844 non-commissioned officers and privates in killed, wounded, and missing, the latter class numbering but 30. Seven out of 11 field officers fell killed and wounded while leading on their regiments, and of the 7, 4 are dead. To the memory of these the country will give that meed of consideration which is the reward of brave men battling in such a cause as ours.

Three colonels of four, all brave and accomplished officers— Col. M. S. Stokes, of the First North Carolina; Col. Gaston Meares, of the Third North Carolina, and Col. Robert A. Smith, of the Forty-fourth Georgia— have sealed their devotion with their lives. Their conduct on the field was beyond praise, and in their loss their regiments and the service have suffered severely. Maj. Skinner, of the First North Carolina, died in a like manner. Lieutenant-Colonel McDowell, of the First North Carolina, and Lieutenant-Colonel Estes (the former severely and the latter slightly) were both wounded in the front of the battle. Of the surviving officers, Colonel Gibson and Lieut. Col. R. W. Carswell, of the Forty-eighth Georgia, led their regiment in the actions in which it was engaged. Lieutenant-Colonel De Rosset and Captain Thruston, acting field officers of the Third North Carolina, behaved with credit to themselves, and made good, to as full extent as possible, the loss sustained in their gallant colonel. Capt. H. A. Brown, of the First North Carolina, rallied the troops of his regiment, with other officers, after all the field officers had been lost, and led the regiment until relieved by Lieutenant-Colonel Bynum. Capts. J. W. Beck and Samuel P. Lump-kin, of the Forty-fourth Georgia, marched with the brigade with the fragment of the regiment on the 27th and served through the subsequent actions. But 179 of this regiment were unhurt at the action at Ellison's Mill of those who entered.

[excerpt]
n conclusion I beg to remark that the troops of this brigade, arriving at Richmond just after the battle of Seven Pines, were ordered immediately to the front, and performed picket and outpost duty, with slight intermission, until the march toward Mechanicsville. Two of the regiments, the First and Third North Carolina, had been some time in service but not in action. The Forty-fourth and Forty-eighth Georgia were new troops, and it is perhaps to be regretted, as the whole were brigaded for the first time, that some more opportunity could not have been afforded for perfecting their organization and discipline as a brigade. Nevertheless, the mass of the troops did their duty well, and although there were exceptions, from respect to those gallant officers and men who upheld bravely the honor of their flag, those who strayed from the field of duty I leave to their own consciences and the condemnation of their comrades.

I have the honor to inclose a return and lists of the killed and wounded (*) and the reports of regimental commanders so far as they have been received.
I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
R. S. RIPLEY,
Brigadier-General, Commanding.
Maj. J. W. RATCHFORD,
Assistant Adjutant-General, &c.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XI/2 [S# 13]
PENINSULAR CAMPAIGN--SEVEN DAYS' BATTLES
No. 270. -- Report of Lieut. Col. William L. De Rosset, Third North Carolina Infantry, of the battles of Ellison's Mill, or Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill, and Malvern Hill.

HEADQUARTERS THIRD NORTH CAROLINA TROOPS,
Camp near Richmond, Va., July 11, 1862.
GENERAL: Owing to the death of Col. Gaston Meares, it becomes my duty to report the part which my regiment took in the late great battles before Richmond:
On Thursday, June 26, at 2 a.m., we took up the line of march for the Chickahominy River at the Mechanicsville Bridge. Preparatory to an advance I was ordered to organize and take command of a battalion of skirmishers, composed of one company from each regiment in the brigade: Company B, Captain Brown, First North Carolina; Company B, Captain Thruston, Third North Carolina; Company —, Captain Beck, Forty-fourth Georgia, and Company —, Captain Hall, Forty-eighth Georgia.

I was soon ordered to reconnoiter the bridges, and "to advance to Mechanicsville, in conjunction with a line of skirmishers from General A. P. Hill's division, on the left of the pike."

Before I had crossed the river the brigade was advanced down the road, and with my battalion in front crossed the bridges and took position in line of battle to the left of the road. I was then ordered to take position on the left of the brigade, as it was not intended to use them as skirmishers, and prepare to advance in line of battle to charge the batteries at Ellison's Mill, on the right of the pike, which proved to be about 1 mile distant. The movement was made in good order and at double-quick. Being on the extreme left and Colonel Meares next on my right the charge was ordered, and this portion of the line went up directly in front of the batteries. Upon reaching the top of a hill, about 200 yards from the battery, this portion of the line was thrown into considerable confusion by the rapid and precipitate retreat of a large portion of one of the Georgia regiments; which one I have been unable to learn.

The left of the skirmish battalion, being rallied by Captain Thruston, continued to advance until it reached the mill-race in the ravine, about 80 yards from the battery. Only about 40 men being left with me and the darkness and confusion preventing my learning the position of the line, I deemed it prudent to place them under cover, and by a flank movement to the right took shelter in a dense woods, just beyond which and under cover of a kill I found almost the entire brigade, it having fallen back from the ravine.

Here I was ordered to send the companies composing my battalion to their different regiments, and Colonel Meares being still absent with a portion of two companies, I reformed the regiment and took position in the skirt of a woods about 300 yards from the battery. Colonel Meares came up in about an hour with the other companies. We held this position until 2 a.m. on the 27th, when we took up the line of march to Mechanicsville.

Our loss in this engagement was 8 killed and 39 wounded, including Major Savage, wounded in the left hand early in the engagement and left the field.

The fire here was very heavy, and I can only account for our small loss by the fact that the artillery fire was very high. Most of the casualties occurred at the extreme range of grape shot, and but few after we reached the most exposed point.

During the forenoon of Friday, 27th, we rested at Mechanicsville and were under a heavy fire of shell, but without accident. About 11 a.m. we again took up the line of march by the road to ——, and arrived at Cold Harbor, or Gaines' Mill, about 3 p.m. Here we were ordered to advance in line of battle and take position on the left, as I understood to prevent a movement against that flank. The regiment lay for two hours under a very severe fire of every description, but by some mischance Colonel Meares moved off without my knowledge with all of the regiment except three companies, which were left with me. The woods here were a dense undergrowth and prevented any movement being seen, and not receiving or hearing any order, I was left with about 60 men, as above stated. The fire becoming more and more severe, and not knowing where to seek my regiment, I reported to you, and received instructions to act upon my own judgment, when I withdrew my small force from under fire about the time that the firing ceased and rested for the night, joining my regiment early the following morning. None of the regiment was actively engaged, but, being held as reserve and sheltered, our loss was small. Killed, 1; wounded, 15.

Saturday and Sunday, June 28 and 29, we were bivouacked near the river at the Woodbury or Grapevine Bridge.

On Monday morning at an early hour we advanced across this bridge and came into the Williamsburg road near Savage Station, on the York River Railroad. Proceeding down this road we halted at White Oak Creek, where the artillery was engaged until night.

Tuesday morning, July 1, we crossed White Oak Bridge and marched to —— farm, where the enemy had taken position. The line being formed, an advance was ordered, and my regiment moved forward through a dense jungle up the hill to a road just in front of and within 600 yards of the enemy's batteries. From the fact that several of my companies had to move by a flank and file around the thickets, when we reached the road they were in considerable confusion. Here, after firing several rounds, we learned that a regiment of our own troops was in advance of us, and an order to cease firing was given. They were then ordered to lie down to protect themselves. While in this position, with little or no protection but what the naked ground afforded, we were exposed to a most terrific fire of every description, as the wounds testify, from the enemy, and I fear several volleys were fired into us by a regiment of our own troops in the rear, from which we suffered much.

About 6 p.m. a request came from Captain Brown, commanding First North Carolina, to re-enforce him, as he was hotly pressed. Colonel Meares gave the order to move by the left flank, and led off down the road, followed by myself and about 100 men. About the same time that this movement was made the order was given on the right to fall back, which we did not hear, and which accounts for the small number of men which went with us.

Our gallant colonel had not moved more than 30 paces before he was instantly killed by the fragment of a shell in the head. No more cool, brave, and able officer lived, and his loss to the regiment and his country is irreparable. His body was carried from the field immediately and sent to his family in North Carolina, under charge of Adjt. W. A. Cumming.

Our loss was heavy: Killed, 23; wounded, 112; missing, 7. For a complete list of casualties I would refer to the accompanying papers.

My officers behaved with great coolness and gallantry, and where all acted well and performed their whole duty I can make no distinction.

I am indebted to my senior captain (S. D. Thruston) for valuable advice and assistance, he having acted as field officer from the time that Major Savage was wounded.

We started from camp with 605 enlisted men and 28 commissioned officers, and received additions to the ranks of convalescents from camp of about 40 men.

The men I consider equal to any emergency and they will always be found at their posts.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
WM. L. DE ROSSET,
Lieutenant-Colonel, Comdg. Third North Carolina Infantry.
Brig. Gen. R. S. RIPLEY,
Commanding Fifth Brigade,
General D. H. Hill's Division.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XIX/1 [S# 27]
SEPTEMBER 3-20, 1862.-The Maryland Campaign.
No. 293.--Report of Maj. Gen. Daniel H. Hill, C. S. Army, commanding division, of operations July 23-September 17.
HEADQUARTERS DIVISION,
GENERAL: I have the honor to report the operations of my command from the battles around Richmond until after the battle of Sharpsburg.

[extensive excerpt - not germane to Capt. S. D. Thurston, 3rd NC]

In this sad list we have specially to mourn many distinguished officers. Brigadier-General Garland was killed at South Mountain--the most fearless man I ever knew, a Christian hero, a ripe scholar, and most accomplished gentleman. Brig. Gen. G. B. Anderson was mortally wounded at Sharpsburg--a high-toned, honorable, conscientious Christian soldier, highly gifted, and lovely in all the qualities that adorn a man. Col. C. C. Tew, Second North Carolina Regiment, was one of the most finished scholars on the continent, and had no superior as a soldier in the field. Col. B. B. Gayle, Twelfth Alabama, a most gallant and accomplished officer, was killed at South Mountain. Col. W. P. Barclay, Twenty-third Georgia, the hero of South Mountain, was killed at Sharpsburg. There, too, fell those gallant Christian soldiers, Col. Levi B. Smith, Twenty-seventh Georgia, and Lieut. Col. J. M. Newton, of the Sixth Georgia. The modest and heroic Major [P.] Tracy, of the Sixth Georgia, met there, too, a bloody grave. The lamented Captain [W. F.] Plane, of that regiment, deserves a special mention. Of him it could be truly said that he shrank from no danger, no fatigue, and no exposure. Maj. Robert S. Smith, Fourth Georgia, fell, fighting most heroically, at Sharpsburg. He had received a military education, and gave promise of eminence in his profession. Capt. James B. Atwell, Twentieth North Carolina, deserves to live in the memory of his countrymen for almost unsurpassed gallantry. After having greatly distinguished himself in the capture of the Yankee battery at South Mountain, he fell, heroically fighting, at Sharpsburg. Brigadier-General Ripley received a severe wound in the throat from a Minie-ball, which would have proven fatal but for passing through his cravat. After his wound was dressed, he heroically returned to the field, and remained to the close of the day with his brigade. Brigadier-General Rodes received a painful contusion from a shell, but remained with his command. Colonel McRae, commanding brigade, was struck in the forehead, but gallantly remained on the field. Colonel Bennett, Fourteenth North Carolina Regiment, who had conducted himself most nobly throughout, won my special admiration for the heroism he exhibited at the moment of receiving what he supposed to be a mortal wound. Colonel [W. L.] De Rosset, Third North Carolina, received a severe wound at Sharpsburg, which I fear will forever deprive the South of his most valuable services. Col. F. M. Parker, Thirtieth North Carolina, a modest, brave, and accomplished officer, was severely wounded at Sharpsburg. Col. J. B. Gordon, Sixth Alabama, the Chevalier Bayard of the army, received five wounds at Sharpsburg before he would quit the field. The heroic Colonel lB. D.] Fry, Thirteenth Alabama, and Colonel [E. A.] O'Neal, Twenty-sixth Alabama, who had both been wounded at Seven Pines, were once more wounded severely, at Sharpsburg, while nobly doing their duty. Lieutenant-Colonel [S. B.] Pickens, Twelfth Alabama, and Major [R. D.] Redden, Twenty-sixth Alabama, were both wounded at South Mountain, the former severely. They greatly distinguished themselves in that battle. Lieut. Col. J. N. Lightfoot, Sixth Alabama, and Lieutenant--Colonel [William A.] Johnston, Fourteenth North Carolina, were wounded at Sharpsburg, the latter slightly. Major [S. I).] Thruston, Third North Carolina, received a painful contusion, but did not leave the field. Lieutenant-Colonel Ruffin, Thirteenth North Carolina, remained with his regiment on South Mountain after receiving three painful wounds. Lieutenant-Colonel [W. H.] Betts, Thirteenth Alabama, was slightly wounded. Lieutenant Colonel [C. T.] Zachry, Twenty-seventh Georgia, had just recovered from a severe wound before Richmond to receive a more serious one at Sharpsburg. Lieutenant-Colonel [E. F.] Best and Major [J. H.] Huggins, Twenty-third Georgia, gallant and meritorious officers, were severely wounded at Sharpsburg.

[extensive excerpt]

Brigadier-General Doles (now commanding Ripley's brigade) pays a tribute to the memory of Maj. Robert S. Smith, Fourth Georgia, and speaks in the most complimentary terms of Colonel De Rosset and Major Thruston, Third North Carolina(the former severely and the latter slightly wounded), and Captains [E.G.] Meares, [Lieutenant D. E.] McNair, and [D.] Williams, of the same regiment. Lieut. Col. H. A. Brown and Capt. J. N. Harrell, acting major of the First North Carolina Regiment, are also highly commended. Lieut. Col. Phil. Cook, Captains [W. H.] Willis, [F. H.] DeGraffenried, and Lieutenants [E. A.] Hawkins, [R. M.] Bisel, [W. W.] Hulbert, [J. T.] Gay (wounded), [J. G.] Stephens, [C. R.] Ezell, [F. T.] Snead, [L. M.] Cobb (killed), [J. C.] Macon (severely wounded), "all commended themselves to my special notice by their gallant and meritorious conduct." Captain [John C.] Key, commanding Forty-fourth Georgia, and Captain Read, assistant adjutant-general, are equally commended. Asst. Surg. William P. Young remained on the field after he was wounded, caring for the wounded, and fell into the hands of the enemy. Privates Thomas S. Cartright, Joseph L. Richardson, and Henry E. Welch, Fourth Georgia, are mentioned with distinction. The first-named fell with the colors of his regiment in his hand; Richardson was wounded. Privates R. Dudley Hill and Thomas J. Dingier, two lads in the Forty-fourth Georgia, attracted, in an especial manner, the attention of their commander by their extraordinary daring. Lieutenant-Colonel Brown, of the First North Carolina Regiment, who commanded in both battles in Maryland, says that all did their duty in his regiment, and he cannot discriminate.

[excerpt]

The Second North Carolina, after the death of the gallant and accomplished Tew, was commanded by Captain [G. M.] Roberts, since resigned. The Thirtieth North Carolina, after the fall of its gallant colonel, was commanded by Major Sillers, a brave and meritorious officer. I much regret that the officers of these two regiments have declined to present the names of those specially distinguished for coolness and courage. The Thirteenth North Carolina, under Lieutenant-Colonel Ruffin, greatly distinguished itself at South Mountain. I regret that I have no report from that heroic officer, now absent, sick. He often, however, spoke of the great gallantry of Sergt. Walter S. Williamson.
Respectfully submitted.
D. H. HILL,
Major-General.
Gen. R. H. CHILTON,
Assistant Adjutant-General.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXV/1 [S# 39]
APRIL 27-MAY 6, 1863.--The Chancellorsville Campaign.
No. 308.--Organization of the Army of Northern Virginia.(*

[extensive excerpt]

TRIMBLE'S DIVISION.
Brig. Gen. R. E. COLSTON.

[excerpt]

Colston's (Third) Brigade.
(1) Col. E. T. H. WARREN.
(2) Col. T. V. WILLIAMS.
(3) Lieut. Col. S. T. WALKER.
(4) Lieut. Col. S. D. THRUSTON.
(5) Lieut. Col. H. A. BROWN
1st North Carolina, Col. J. A. McDowell.
3d North Carolina, Lieut. Col. S. D. Thruston.
10th Virginia:
Col. E. T. H. Warren.
Lieut. Col. S. T. Walker.
Maj. Joshua Stover.
Capt. A. H. Smals.
23d Virginia, Lieut. Col. Simeon T. Walton.
37th Virginia, Col. T. V. Williams.

-----------------------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXIX/1 [S# 48]
NOVEMBER 26-DECEMBER 2, 1863.--The Mine Run (Virginia) Campaign
[excerpt]

No. 124.--Col. Stephen D. Thruston, Third North Carolina Infantry.

O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVII/2 [S# 99]
CONFEDERATE CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA (FROM FEBRUARY 1), SOUTH CAROLINA, SOUTHERN GEORGIA, AND EAST FLORIDA, FROM JANUARY 1, 1865, TO MARCH 23, 1865.--#11
GENERAL ORDERS No. 15.
HDQRS. DEPT. OF NORTH CAROLINA,
Wilmington, February 21, 1865.
I. General Braxton Bragg, having returned, resumes command of the department.
II. Maj. Gen. R. F. Hoke is assigned to the command of the Third Military District.
III. The general court-martial convened in Special Orders, No. 23, headquarters Department of North Carolina, is dissolved, and the members will report for duty with their respective commands.
IV. The following officers will report to Maj. Gen. R. F. Hoke, commanding Third Military District: Col. G. A. Cunningham, Provisional Army, C. S; Maj. T. B. Venable, assistant adjutant-general; Maj. A. Vanderhorst, assistant adjutant-general.
V. Col. S. D. Thruston, Third Regiment North Carolina Volunteers, will assume control of the post at Company's Shops,North Carolina Railroad, and there organize such local forces as he may find.
By order:
FRANCIS S. PARKER,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.
-----

This might be what you are looking for Bruce Vail:

O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME LI/2 [S# 108]
Confederate Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Maryland, Eastern North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia (Except Southwestern), And West Virginia.--#26

BIVOUAC NEAR WINCHESTER, VA., October 5, 1862.
His Excellency Z. B. VANCE,
Raleigh, N. C. :

Your EXCELLENCY: In accordance with the unanimous desire of my officers and men I beg leave, sir, to return to you the colors intrusted to us by the State of North Carolina at the commencement of this contest. When the regiment was first attached to the army before Richmond the Confederate battle-flag was issued to it and all other colors ordered to be discarded. Previous to the battles in Maryland, however, our colonel, at the request of both officers and men, once more unfurled our North Carolina colors, a special guard was detailed for its defense, and, in addition to our battle.flag, carried this into the engagement at Sharps.-burg. This is the only one in which it has ever been, and it bears evidence in its folds that it was in the very thickest, while our list of killed and wounded shows that we did not fail in our trust. Two of its bearers were killed and as many seriously wounded, yet not once were its folds allowed to touch the ground, and we have the satisfaction of knowing that it never left the field until we received orders from those in authority to withdraw. We have flattered ourselves that it is worthy of a place among the relics of which the State may be proud, and we send it to you, sir, desiring that it may be kept ever sacred to the memory of those who fell upon the battle.field of Sharpsburg while engaged in the defense of home and liberty. I intrust the colors, together with a report of the engagement and a list of casualties, to Lieut. John F. S. Van Bokkelen; and, in the name of my officers and men,
Am, sir, most respectfully,
S. D. THRUSTON,
Major Third North Carolina State Troops, Commanding.
-----

This might be what you are looking for Bruce Vail:

O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME LI/2 [S# 108]
Confederate Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Maryland, Eastern North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia (Except Southwestern), And West Virginia.--#26

BIVOUAC NEAR WINCHESTER, VA., October 5, 1862.
His Excellency Z. B. VANCE,
Raleigh, N. C. :

Your EXCELLENCY: In accordance with the unanimous desire of my officers and men I beg leave, sir, to return to you the colors intrusted to us by the State of North Carolina at the commencement of this contest. When the regiment was first attached to the army before Richmond the Confederate battle-flag was issued to it and all other colors ordered to be discarded. Previous to the battles in Maryland, however, our colonel, at the request of both officers and men, once more unfurled our North Carolina colors, a special guard was detailed for its defense, and, in addition to our battle.flag, carried this into the engagement at Sharps.-burg. This is the only one in which it has ever been, and it bears evidence in its folds that it was in the very thickest, while our list of killed and wounded shows that we did not fail in our trust. Two of its bearers were killed and as many seriously wounded, yet not once were its folds allowed to touch the ground, and we have the satisfaction of knowing that it never left the field until we received orders from those in authority to withdraw. We have flattered ourselves that it is worthy of a place among the relics of which the State may be proud, and we send it to you, sir, desiring that it may be kept ever sacred to the memory of those who fell upon the battle.field of Sharpsburg while engaged in the defense of home and liberty. I intrust the colors, together with a report of the engagement and a list of casualties, to Lieut. John F. S. Van Bokkelen; and, in the name of my officers and men,
Am, sir, most respectfully,
S. D. THRUSTON,
Major Third North Carolina State Troops, Commanding.
-----

Thanks again. I'm sorry I had not checked this thread in months and just saw your latest post today. FYI -- check the CWT thread 'Shattered Flag' for more on the 3rd NC's flag now stored at the NC Museum of History:

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/shattered-battle-flag-3rd-north-carolina-infantry-regiment.128004/

Best,
Bruce

Last edited:
Back