Codori Farm with Battle Era Barn vs Now View

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
tipton combo2.jpg

I find it interesting that one of the most identifiable and often referenced landmarks on the battlefield, the Codori Barn, is a post battle structure that in no way resembles the original battle era barn that was replaced in 1883. Below are two similar views using a detail from William Tipton's 1882 panorama that includes the original barn and my recent photo in which the huge three spired modern structure can be seen in its place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing the height of the new barn with the old one against the corn crib it must 15 feet higher. The foot print of the newer barn is larger as well.Changes the sight lines quite a bit. The old barn resembles the Trostle barn, particularly the lean to addition.I guess the new barn gets a free pass since it is the romantic enbodiment of what many think a barn should look like.

Your opening lines are exactly what ran through my head when I saw the title of the thread. However the Codori barn in its new form has taken on iconic status on its own, so now there would be an uproar if anyone even considered making it look like it used to!

The old Codori barn was a 2+ story building of similar height as the surviving coach house, immediately to its S. That 1882 picture also shows the now non-existing Codori smoke house across the Emmitsburg Rd (structure to the very R of the photo) which was there during the battle. What was not there during the battle was the addition on the rear (East) of the Codori house, visible on the 1882 picture.

I don't know how I feel about battlefield structures these days. I guess there are bigger fish to fry than the Codori barn as far as inaccuracies in that area go, not the least of is the leveling of the ground that side of Emmitsburg Rd, during Ike's Camp Colt, and the clump of trees garbage... Matter of fact, I'd place restoration of the Codori barn below getting rid of the soybeans at that battlefield, as far as priorities go, at least it is not a trip hazard :wink:

It seems to me the existing barn is itself historic, I don't think history freezes.

I volunteer at the Castillo in St. Augustine and sometimes old timers have trouble descending the stairs from the terreplein, the stairs need a handrail. When I brought this up to the rangers I was told a railing wouldn't be historical, to which I replied that 100 years from now guides could point out the "handrail of 2016".

Anyway when I guide people around the fort I talk about the many changes such since Spanish days--the modern terreplein being significantly higher (making the parapets comparatively lower), the parapets lowered by the Federal army when swivel mounted cannon were installed on three of the bastions during the Civil War, the red brick repairs made by the army in the 1800s, the concrete repairs made early in NPS days and so on. It's all part of the fort's history now.

The smaller peak roofed structure (barnlet?) to the left of the current barn appears to be the same as in the Tipton photo.

Makes for a good point of reference...

That structure is a corn crib on each side. Wagons hauled it in from the fields after picked by hand and placed it in these cribs to dry. I have seen some where they store the wagon in the 2nd floor level and park other equipment under it. And some use it for storage.

While the barn isn't 1863, it is quite beautiful and a very good reference point on that part of the battlefield. I totally agree with @Bee....there would be an earth shaking uproar with they ever decided to mess with it. Somebody get a rope!!!! :smile:

That is great website...once again, had no idea it was there. Thank you for sharing that!!!

That is an interesting site. Make sure you open other links shown on that page for further insight on the Codori's.

One of the links refers to older Gettysburg Daily posts on Camp Colt. With all the recent discussions on the historic correctness aspects of the new stone walls, I can only cringe when I see photos of the Renault tanks running around the Codori and Bliss Farms. With all the rural land in Adams and surrounding counties, one has to question the use of the Gettysburg Battlefield for tank practice.

That is an interesting site. Make sure you open other links shown on that page for further insight on the Codori's.

One of the links refers to older Gettysburg Daily posts on Camp Colt. With all the recent discussions on the historic correctness aspects of the new stone walls, I can only cringe when I see photos of the Renault tanks running around the Codori and Bliss Farms. With all the rural land in Adams and surrounding counties, one has to question the use of the Gettysburg Battlefield for tank practice.
I have seen 1 photo of Camp Colt and a few tanks desecrating hallowed ground...really turns my stomach :sick: Kinda funny how Ike trains there in the 30's and just happens to snap up 99% of the Pitzer and ALL of the Harman farms in 1950. All of those farms are a significant part of the July 1st action between Harry Heth et al and the Doubleday's First Corps.

Here is a link to the NPS site discussing Camp Colt. Interesting read with several historic photos. I am unaware of the number of tanks there or specific battlefield damage. I assume they used the bank of the old Bliss Farm barn for practice.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/the-armys-first-tank-school-camp-colt-at-gettysburg.htm

Interestingly, Gettysburg was also a WWII POW site in 1944/45. Not many people know that. So our beloved Gettysburg battlefield had roles in the Civil War, WWI and WWII. But nothing compares to those fateful days in 1863.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/gettysburgww2.htm

Back