Civil War Letters

My experiences with donating items to museums is hit-or-miss. I've had better luck with smaller historical societies than I have with larger state-run ones. A long-term loan is also something to keep in mind. That way you don't have to worry about the museum selling it off.

In terms of a book, unless you'd be doing it as a labor of love, I'm not sure there will be enough interest to justify the cost of such an endeavor. The 104th OVI is probably one of the most well-documented regiments there is. In addition to two regimental histories, there are at least four published letters/diaries in book form, four more unpublished diary transcripts that I know of, a masters thesis, and a magazine article about Harvey. That doesn't include the National Tribune articles, the articles in the Ohio Genealogical Society newsletters, or CPT David Bard's diary (Company I) in the Western Reserve Historical Society. But, if you're truly interested in doing a book, it might be best to just self-publish the letters by themselves with maybe a little bit of amplifying text. Or send the transcript to one of the various CW magazines/journals to see if they'll publish them.

BTW, Harvey's collar came up for sale about ten years ago. I don't know who got it, though.

I hope this helps.

Jim
Thanks Jim for your input. The book I am writing will self-published and will be for family members only. My husband and I grew up in western Pennsylvania and our deceased and current living family members are all from there and Ohio. Our family now resides in Texas including our children and grandchildren. I feel it is so important for them to know their roots and not forget what part their northern ancestors played in our family and American history. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post. For now I think we are going to keep these letters safe and sound with us.

If you keep he originals, I'd research carefully how to preserve the stuff; you don't want to end up with crumbs of overaged paper and/or competely faded ink! I would also get them digitally scanned, since sooner or later the originals will be done for. It would probably be easier on the originals to work from the scans for your biography.
Thanks! Good idea as we have decided to keep the letters safe and sound with us. These letters are currently in great shape...hard to believe they are 150 plus years old! And you are right...we don't want them to fade or start to tear. Thanks again for your input...very much appreciated.

Adding to what Andy said, the best way to preserve/document them is in digital form. They can be easily shared, disseminated, used for research, put on a website for other researchers, etc etc. Also, if placed in the hands of a qualified museum, they would likely get much needed care, maintenance, and conservation (if needed) from trained professionals that almost certainly can't be given in a home environment.
So my bottom line suggestion is take photographs for your research and donate then to a qualified archive for long term preservation. As Andy said, win, win.

There's always the Valentine Museum (accredited, and operated by VCU) in Richmond. I was there recently and was impressed by the staff. Small but nice archive.
Thanks for your reply! Sounds like it is hit or miss with the museums and historical societies. For now I think we are going to keep them. But I like your idea of preserving them in digital form and sharing with the public. I will have to do more research on loaning them to a historical society.

On further reflection, I think I'd set up a 'Daniel Stearns' Civil War' website (hopefully with a more interesting title) and begin to publish (electronically) the letters, in a process that fits your own agenda.

You could also publish related material on the site that illuminates the text of the letters, and provides useful and illustrative background information and images.

And, as a New Years Resolution, work to identify a university archive or other historical depository for the original letters. I would take my time to locate an archive that makes you feel comfortable that the letters will be handled properly.

At the end of the day, these documents belong in a museum setting. It falls to you to make sure that it happens in the right way.
Great New Years resolution idea! It definitely would be a shame not to share them with the public. For now we are going to keep them safe and sound with us. But I like your idea of working to identify a University archive for the original letters. Possibly Baldwin Wallace University or Ohio State University since this is where the family resided during the Civil War. Thanks so much...now you have me thinking!

I turned letters over from my 5th great grandfather and Sherman to my local historical association on grounds that I have access to them for a period. It was a good decision and I back AndyHall's suggestion.
Thanks! I definitely will take that into consideration!

After WWII ended in Europe, my Dad's outfit had occupation duty in Germany while they trained for the invasion of Japan.
Men were sent home based on a point system of years overseas, age, months in combat, etc.
I have a battalion history booklet on which Dad figured out his points and eligibility in pencil on the back cover. I offered it to the WWII museum in New Orleans with a similar response. Not interested.
I would have thought this would have been a great illustration of an ordinary GI eager to go home.

Wow...that is surprising and very disappointing. You would think they would have been salivating to see your stuff! For now we have decided to do exactly what you did...put them in our fire safe! Thanks so much and so sorry you did not get a better response to your memorabilia.
Yeh, i really did not get it. They knew i was making the trip with my scouts and that the books were in tow.

If you're considering ever donating them again I would go straight to the Virginia Historical Society with them.

Thanks, that is good advise. If it were to happen Jackson MS would be a good place as he was from MS.

I think I will keep them and If nobody, in my estimation, in the family will protect them after me or if I think they would be sold, then off to Jackson they go.

After WWII ended in Europe, my Dad's outfit had occupation duty in Germany while they trained for the invasion of Japan.
Men were sent home based on a point system of years overseas, age, months in combat, etc.
I have a battalion history booklet on which Dad figured out his points and eligibility in pencil on the back cover. I offered it to the WWII museum in New Orleans with a similar response. Not interested.
I would have thought this would have been a great illustration of an ordinary GI eager to go home.
Yes, you would thinks so right? Crazy that they were not interested. What insight this could have provided from first hand experience. Better off in your hands and then on to a family member. Thanks for your post!

Back