Civil War Letters

Sscul2

Private
I am researching my husbands 2x great grandfather who served in the 8th Pennsylvania Regiment Volunteer Infantry Corp and also in the 104th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. His name was Daniel Merill Stearns and he and his dog Harvey survived the war. We found letters he wrote to his family throughout the war and my long time goal is to write a book about him. What is the best way to preserve these letters and should we keep them to ourselves or share them by turning them over to a Historical Society? Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Coming from a museum/archival background, my inclination is to turn them over to an established archive that already has a significant Civil War collection of material, to put them to where they'd be of best use and access to researchers in the long term. You might be able to arrange restrictions on the use of that material for a set period, that would allow you (or someone you designate) to have exclusive access to them for the purposes of your planned biography. That's a win for you, and a win for history.

Gee, I would find it hard to part with a treasure like that, even though I suppose the best thing is to donate it to a university archive or historical society.

At the very least, I would allow archivists to make high-quality reproductions now, in case the originals get lost or damaged sometime in the future.

It might be fun to set up your own Daniel Merritt Stearns Archive website so that historians and others can look at the material, and then you can pass the originals along to some other family member who has an interest in this kind of stuff.

Last edited:
My Grandfather had thought about donating our stuff to an archive but in stead gave it to me. When i went to thw museum of the Confederacy in Richmond one year and took scrapbooks, newspapers, letters of all types they just looked at me like i was stupid and showed absolutly no interest. I told them i was coming as it was a scout trip and they responded like i had not spoken to them 3 times. So wierd. I personally could not give up the material. I have had friends who donated stuff to small museums just to have it stolen. My familys stuff will stay in my fire safe until the next trusted family member shows an interest, then we will see.

My experiences with donating items to museums is hit-or-miss. I've had better luck with smaller historical societies than I have with larger state-run ones. A long-term loan is also something to keep in mind. That way you don't have to worry about the museum selling it off.

In terms of a book, unless you'd be doing it as a labor of love, I'm not sure there will be enough interest to justify the cost of such an endeavor. The 104th OVI is probably one of the most well-documented regiments there is. In addition to two regimental histories, there are at least four published letters/diaries in book form, four more unpublished diary transcripts that I know of, a masters thesis, and a magazine article about Harvey. That doesn't include the National Tribune articles, the articles in the Ohio Genealogical Society newsletters, or CPT David Bard's diary (Company I) in the Western Reserve Historical Society. But, if you're truly interested in doing a book, it might be best to just self-publish the letters by themselves with maybe a little bit of amplifying text. Or send the transcript to one of the various CW magazines/journals to see if they'll publish them.

BTW, Harvey's collar came up for sale about ten years ago. I don't know who got it, though.

I hope this helps.

Jim

My Grandfather had thought about donating our stuff to an archive but in stead gave it to me. When i went to thw museum of the Confederacy in Richmond one year and took scrapbooks, newspapers, letters of all types they just looked at me like i was stupid and showed absolutly no interest. I told them i was coming as it was a scout trip and they responded like i had not spoken to them 3 times. So wierd. I personally could not give up the material. I have had friends who donated stuff to small museums just to have it stolen. My familys stuff will stay in my fire safe until the next trusted family member shows an interest, then we will see.

Yeah, I wouldn't give letters like this to a for-profit museum like the Museum of the Confederacy. When my wife's grandfather, Herman Ward Taylor, wanted to make a donation of the genealogical materials he had gathered, he gave it to the North Carolina State Museum of History.

http://digital.ncdcr.gov/cdm/ref/collection/p16062coll15/id/1278

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't give letters like this to a for-profit museum like the Museum of the Confederacy. When my wife's grandfather, Herman Ward Taylor, wanted to make a donation of the genealogical materials he had gathered, he gave it to the North Carolina State Museum of History.

http://digital.ncdcr.gov/cdm/ref/collection/p16062coll15/id/1278
I get that, I was just shocked that they had no interest, in the library archive section, to even open a book or make a copy.

If you keep he originals, I'd research carefully how to preserve the stuff; you don't want to end up with crumbs of overaged paper and/or competely faded ink! I would also get them digitally scanned, since sooner or later the originals will be done for. It would probably be easier on the originals to work from the scans for your biography.

Coming from a museum/archival background, my inclination is to turn them over to an established archive that already has a significant Civil War collection of material, to put them to where they'd be of best use and access to researchers in the long term. You might be able to arrange restrictions on the use of that material for a set period, that would allow you (or someone you designate) to have exclusive access to them for the purposes of your planned biography. That's a win for you, and a win for history.

Adding to what Andy said, the best way to preserve/document them is in digital form. They can be easily shared, disseminated, used for research, put on a website for other researchers, etc etc. Also, if placed in the hands of a qualified museum, they would likely get much needed care, maintenance, and conservation (if needed) from trained professionals that almost certainly can't be given in a home environment.
So my bottom line suggestion is take photographs for your research and donate then to a qualified archive for long term preservation. As Andy said, win, win.

There's always the Valentine Museum (accredited, and operated by VCU) in Richmond. I was there recently and was impressed by the staff. Small but nice archive.

Last edited:
I am researching my husbands 2x great grandfather who served in the 8th Pennsylvania Regiment Volunteer Infantry Corp and also in the 104th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. His name was Daniel Merill Stearns and he and his dog Harvey survived the war. We found letters he wrote to his family throughout the war and my long time goal is to write a book about him. What is the best way to preserve these letters and should we keep them to ourselves or share them by turning them over to a Historical Society? Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

On further reflection, I think I'd set up a 'Daniel Stearns' Civil War' website (hopefully with a more interesting title) and begin to publish (electronically) the letters, in a process that fits your own agenda.

You could also publish related material on the site that illuminates the text of the letters, and provides useful and illustrative background information and images.

And, as a New Years Resolution, work to identify a university archive or other historical depository for the original letters. I would take my time to locate an archive that makes you feel comfortable that the letters will be handled properly.

At the end of the day, these documents belong in a museum setting. It falls to you to make sure that it happens in the right way.

Last edited:
I get that, I was just shocked that they had no interest, in the library archive section, to even open a book or make a copy.

Jeez, that must have been hard.

What did you do? I mean, what did you decide about the old letters?

Last edited:
Jeez, that must have been hard.

What did you do? I mean, what did you decide about the old letters?

I left with my books intact. After speaking with them on the phone a few times and telling them what i had i figured their research department would at least like a copy of some of it, like the pge with his parole papers and cut up battle flag from Appomattox. But no, she just looked in wonder and left.

The Rangers at Petersburg Battle field enjoyed it. One whole book was on the Battle at Ft. Gregg. Oddest thing ever when a research area needs nothing else to research. I get some was accessible from other sources but not the Letters where he correaponded with Generals and troops about the battle as he was writing a sketch on it. Death Graple at Petersburg and a sketch on Ft Gregg, one of few that were written on it until John Fox wrote his book a fewnyears back on Ft Greg.

I had not planned to donate them but they did not even ask.

Thank you for your input and I will definitely take it into consideration.

Gee, I would find it hard to part with a treasure like that, even though I suppose the best thing is to donate it to a university archive or historical society.

At the very least, I would allow archivists to make high-quality reproductions now, in case the originals get lost or damaged sometime in the future.
You are so right...I am very torn about parting with the letters. I think for now we will just keep them in a very safe place. Thanks!

It might be fun to set up your own Daniel Merritt Stearns Archive website so that historians and others can look at the material, and then you can pass the originals along to some other family member who has an interest in this kind of stuff.
Never thought of that. That could be a great option. Thanks so much!

Wow...that is surprising and very disappointing. You would think they would have been salivating to see your stuff! For now we have decided to do exactly what you did...put them in our fire safe! Thanks so much and so sorry you did not get a better response to your memorabilia.

I left with my books intact. After speaking with them on the phone a few times and telling them what i had i figured their research department would at least like a copy of some of it, like the pge with his parole papers and cut up battle flag from Appomattox. But no, she just looked in wonder and left.

The Rangers at Petersburg Battle field enjoyed it. One whole book was on the Battle at Ft. Gregg. Oddest thing ever when a research area needs nothing else to research. I get some was accessible from other sources but not the Letters where he correaponded with Generals and troops about the battle as he was writing a sketch on it. Death Graple at Petersburg and a sketch on Ft Gregg, one of few that were written on it until John Fox wrote his book a fewnyears back on Ft Greg.

I had not planned to donate them but they did not even ask.

If you're considering ever donating them again I would go straight to the Virginia Historical Society with them.

If you keep he originals, I'd research carefully how to preserve the stuff; you don't want to end up with crumbs of overaged paper and/or competely faded ink! I would also get them digitally scanned, since sooner or later the originals will be done for. It would probably be easier on the originals to work from the scans for your biography.

This is very important. You need digital copies made asap in case something happens to them.

Back