Civil war kepi 114th Pennsylvania

Just found this kepi on eBay says it was "checked out by a museum" what do you guys think? image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 333
"This is an authentic American civil war kepi. it belonged to the 114th infantry volunteers. The owner of this kepi was in the first division between 1862 and 1865 in Pennsylvania and commanded by Charles H. T. Collis. The 114th was a volunteer company so it was disbanded at the end of the war in 1865. I have had it checked out by a museum in Dallas and all the sewing techniques, emblems, leather tanning, and materials used are of the time period. The kepi has no authentication paper work and no refunds are accepted. Thank you for looking"

This could be a Civil War kepi. But this gets down right funny, if anyone even bothered to look into the 114th PA. Here is what the 114th PA looked like:

PA114CoH.png

chancellorsville-1.jpg

chancellorsville-3.jpg

Attachments

• PA114CoH.png
    PA114CoH.png
    315.3 KB · Views: 44
  • chancellorsville-1.jpg
    chancellorsville-1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 42
  • chancellorsville-3.jpg
    chancellorsville-3.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thank you guys for the response and I thought the exact same thing.I looked on civilwardata.com and found these photos of officers without Zouave jackets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 250
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 230
That is exactly what I thought everything looked wrong and for him to say that a museum has looked at it made me suspicious right of the bat.

Right off the bat, the hat brass is untarnished and the leather visor and chinstrap are free of crackling. Without any further research or knowledge of proper kepi construction, its a fake.

Older Reproduction.... construction methods and pattern is not correct for any original... nor is the brass correct...

The 114th Pennsylvania Infantry served in the III Corp, 1st Division (Army of the Potomac)

This cap displays a XV Corp, 1st Division Corp Badge.... (Army of the Tennessee)
The 114th PV was never part of that Army Corp, nor was there any other "114" numbered regiment in that Division...

Really gotta wonder what or who at this reported authenticating museum it was shown too...

Last edited:
Back