Civil War Hospital Records, John Day, 36th Alabama Infantry

Pam Day

Cadet
I have an ancestor who was in the Civil War. He was a nurse and died from smallpox. He was located at Camp Goode in Mobile, Alabama. I am trying to find out if there are any hospital records that have him listed as a patient. I am trying to figure out where exactly he is buried. His name is John Day. He was with the 36th Alabama Infantry and died in 1863. He was born in 1832. If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You! Pam Day

Welcome from Southern Oregon (northern Jefferson).

All I can tell you is that if you go to the National Archives for his military record be aware that hospital records are in a separate collection and you won't get those unless you ask specifically (don't remember just now exactly where they are housed). I eventually got John Winn's hospital records but not until I discovered they had to be searched separately.

I imagine somebody here can help you more. Good luck in your search.

Welcome to CivilWarTalk.

Below are his records from fold3. One of the cards reflect a connection with Andrew M. Anderson of the same unit. I looked through Anderson's cards but no mention of John Day.

I hope this helps.

Page 1.jpg Page 2.jpg Page 3.jpg Page 4.jpg Page 5.jpg

Last edited:
I have an ancestor who was in the Civil War. He was a nurse and died from smallpox. He was located at Camp Goode in Mobile, Alabama. I am trying to find out if there are any hospital records that have him listed as a patient. I am trying to figure out where exactly he is buried. His name is John Day. He was with the 36th Alabama Infantry and died in 1863. He was born in 1832. If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You! Pam Day

http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/soldier.cfm?id=48768

Welcome to CivilWarTalk.

Below are his records from fold3. One of the cards reflect a connection with Andrew M. Anderson of the same unit. I looked through Anderson's cards but no mention of John Day.

I hope this helps.

View attachment 77233 View attachment 77234 View attachment 77235 View attachment 77236 View attachment 77237
How do you upload docs from fold3 in that format? I only know how to do it one page at a time by downloading them one at a time from fold3 then uploading them here in the same fashion.

Back