1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Civil war Era Kitchen Utensils

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by donna, Jul 23, 2012.

1. donna

donna Colonel Forum Host

I found a very informative article on what utensils every Civil War Era kitchen should have. As the author states: " a kitchen should always be well furnished. There should be a sufficiency of every thing which can aid in producing the dishes preparing with the success which is so essential to the gratification of the palate".

This article has drawings of each utensil. It is at http://www.victorianpassage.com/2008/11/civil_war_era_kitchen_utensils.php

Some of the needed utensils listed are:

Waffle Furnace. A very ingenious article, making four good-sized waffles with less labor than is required in making one with ordinary iron.

Chafing Dish. with alcohol lamp to keep steaks hot, or to cook oysters, venison, mutton &e on the table.

Lignumvitae Mortar and Pestle. The adulteration of ground spices makes this an important article where good spices are wanted.

Roasting Screen and Jack. The screen is adapted to the ranges and cooking stoves in general use. The jack is wound up and runs so as to keep the meat constantly turning till cooked.

Chest or Upright Refrigerator. The door on the side insures ventilation and the closet form is most convenient to arrange dishes.

Coffee Roaster. To each pound of coffee put one table-spoonful of water. The coffee will thoroughly roast without being burning.

Fish scissors. For the cutting and trimming fish.

Cheese Toaster. To make Welsh Rarebites with double bottom for hot water.

Fish Kettle. With strainer to boil fish and take it out whole.

Marble Slab and Marble Rolling pin. Pastry made with these is light and flaky from its being cold.

Wine Cooler. For cooling bottles of wine.

Jelly Strainer. Is made double and filled in with hot water. This heat keeps the mass liquid and a much greater amount of jelly is made from the materials.

These are a few essentials of the well stocked kitchen of the 1800s.

diane likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. diane

diane Colonel Forum Host

Oh, how neat! Are there any pictures of these items? I wouldn't doubt some were in my great-grandma's kitchen - I know she had the marble rolling pin. (Suppose the matching slab went the way of all things...) She was originally from Virginia.

4. donna

donna Colonel Forum Host

There are drawings of each on site I gave. They are neat. I have a few items from my family and some bought from Antique stores. They are fun to collect and use.

5. diane

diane Colonel Forum Host

Oh, but the link doesn't work. :cry:

6. donna

donna Colonel Forum Host

diane I don't know why the link doesn't work . It is correct.

Try this:

Gogglel A Victorian Passage in Time, click on Victorian at the top, After Victorian comes up click on In the Kitchen, the article on Civil war Era Kitchen Utensils will come up.

As you will notice there are many great articles.

7. diane

diane Colonel Forum Host

Ok! Thanks! :thumbsup:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)