Civil War Ancestors in Old Soldiers Home

rbortega

Corporal
Did anybody have a Civil War ancestor that spent time in an Old Soldiers Home after the war? My 4 x Great Grandfather DeWitt C. Greenman (23rd Iowa Infantry, 1862-1863) lived at the Western Branch of the U.S. National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Leavenworth, Kansas. He was admitted on June 14, 1904 and died there on August 10, 1907 at the age of 86. DeWitt is buried in Leavenworth National Cemetery.

Did anybody have a Civil War ancestor that spent time in an Old Soldiers Home after the war? My 4 x Great Grandfather DeWitt C. Greenman (23rd Iowa Infantry, 1862-1863) lived at the Western Branch of the U.S. National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Leavenworth, Kansas. He was admitted on June 14, 1904 and died there on August 10, 1907 at the age of 86. DeWitt is buried in Leavenworth National Cemetery.

My great x4 uncle moved to the West Coast in the late '60s, attempting to get away from everyone and eventually settled in Montana after spending time in California, Oregon, and Idaho. In the 1880s, he was living in one of the soldier's homes in Helena and spent the next decade and a half moving progressively east, returning to his family. On his way, he moved from soldier's home to soldier's home, spending time in Wisconsin and Ohio before moving in with his sister in New York, a few years before he died.

R

Yes. Charles H Lamar, Buried at the Old Soldiers Home Cemetery, Leavenworth KS. He was from Missouri, I think he was at the Soldiers Home. I Contacted the Cemetery, but they told me the old graves were marked with wooden headstones, and once they had deteriorated, they had no records of where any individual was buried.

My grandfather visited the old soldiers hospital at Beauvoir, Biloxi, MS, on at least three occasions. I don't know if he stayed there or if he died there but he was buried on the grounds.
Beauvoir was the home of Jefferson Davis. His widow would not sale the land but donated it for use as a rest home for soldiers and a cemetery.

Beauvoir_Mississippi--B.jpg

My gg uncle W.R. Vinson went to the old soldiers home in Austin Texas and lived there from about 1902 until his death in 1906. I have never been to the location, but they say the graves were marked with simple wooden markers that deteriorated and the graves were lost.

Back