Longstreet Circumstances of Longstreet's Death

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
James Longstreet, as is well known, suffered a serious wound at the Battle of the Wilderness in 1864.

My wife claims that, 40 years after the war, he was visiting family when his old wound suddenly opened up and he bled to death before medical help could be summoned.

I've tried to find confirmation of my wife's account on the Internet and have not been successful. There is general agreement on the date of his death, January 2, 1904, but I can't find anything to say he bled to death as a result of his old wound reopening. All the accounts I've been able to find simply say he died of pneumonia.

Anyway, my wife asked me to inquire among the members of the board and see if anyone knows any explanation as to why Longstreet's wound opened up the way it did so many years later.

So, has anyone done a lot of reading about Longstreet? Is it true that he bled to death? If so, is there any medical explanation for why the wound opened up?

The information below is taken from the Longstreet Society website, located in Gainesville, Georgia.

"It is believed that General Longstreet, probably already suffering from pneumonia, was visiting his daughter on January 4 when he began to cough violently. The coughing caused him to bleed heavily through his mouth and he died soon after. Some conjecture that the coughing opened his old Wilderness wound. Before he died he reassured his wife Helen (possibly confusing her, in his weakened state, with his first wife Maria Louise, that they would be happy in their new post."

I like the last sentence. "He had been more favored under the Federal government than any other ex-confederate leader"

The information below is taken from the Longstreet Society website, located in Gainesville, Georgia.

"It is believed that General Longstreet, probably already suffering from pneumonia, was visiting his daughter on January 4 when he began to cough violently. The coughing caused him to bleed heavily through his mouth and he died soon after. Some conjecture that the coughing opened his old Wilderness wound. Before he died he reassured his wife Helen (possibly confusing her, in his weakened state, with his first wife Maria Louise, that they would be happy in their new post."

General Lee's last words were “Strike the tents!“ and General Longstreet on his deathbed looked forward to his new post ... may these two valiant soldiers have found eternal happiness commanding their heavenly armies.

If memory serves me correctly, General Longstreet was suffering from cancer in his eye, in addition to other health issues which lead into pneumonia, then as usual for the weak in health leads into death.

My personal feelings for General Longstreet is very high and high respect for him. Being from Virginia and near Alexandria, had his superiors permitted him, along with then Colonel J.E.B. Stuart--could have freed Alexandria City from Union occupation but, unfortunately withdrew upon orders and the opportunity soon after the Union route from First Manassas/First Bull Run battle--to which Longstreet headquartered in Falls Church, Virginia, Early positioned on Mason's Hill and Stuart on Munson Hill....all chances were lost when the CSA armies withdrew. It was Longstreet who petitioned his superior to promote J.E.B. Stuart--all long before R. E. Lee was appointed the commanding general of the Army of Northern Virginia.

I can't help but wonder, how things would have turned out had Longstreet been able to use his own judgment on things without superiors and or tampering from outside his command.

M. E. Wolf

It has always seemed to me like Longstreet did OK when he was trying to impress someone, but on his own he couldn't get the job done. When he did fight, it was all out fighting for sure. Lee's greatest victory was without him.
I believe President Davis made one of his best choices appointing General Lee to run the army.
IMO

If memory serves me correctly, General Longstreet was suffering from cancer in his eye, in addition to other health issues which lead into pneumonia, then as usual for the weak in health leads into death.

My personal feelings for General Longstreet is very high and high respect for him. Being from Virginia and near Alexandria, had his superiors permitted him, along with then Colonel J.E.B. Stuart--could have freed Alexandria City from Union occupation but, unfortunately withdrew upon orders and the opportunity soon after the Union route from First Manassas/First Bull Run battle--to which Longstreet headquartered in Falls Church, Virginia, Early positioned on Mason's Hill and Stuart on Munson Hill....all chances were lost when the CSA armies withdrew. It was Longstreet who petitioned his superior to promote J.E.B. Stuart--all long before R. E. Lee was appointed the commanding general of the Army of Northern Virginia.

I can't help but wonder, how things would have turned out had Longstreet been able to use his own judgment on things without superiors and or tampering from outside his command.

M. E. Wolf
Thanks for posting Wolf. Too bad that a lot of what his detractors can think of is: had the nerve to criticize Lee and took a job from his friend Grant, so forget him.

Coughing so severe that it causes bleeding from the mouth could be symptoms of several things, the first one that comes to mind is a blood clot breaking loose and going into the lungs, and ultimately a aneurism or stroking out, the second thing is a gastrointestinal bleed out. Neither are a very pleasant ways to go.
I always liked Longstreet, from what I have read it would seem that Lee did to. Thats good enough for me.

General Lee new how to get Longstreet to fight. But again, away from Generals for whatever reason, Longstreet had serious problems. And unlike General Lee, Longstreet didn't take responsibility for his loses.

James Longstreet, as is well known, suffered a serious wound at the Battle of the Wilderness in 1864.

My wife claims that, 40 years after the war, he was visiting family when his old wound suddenly opened up and he bled to death before medical help could be summoned.

I've tried to find confirmation of my wife's account on the Internet and have not been successful. There is general agreement on the date of his death, January 2, 1904, but I can't find anything to say he bled to death as a result of his old wound reopening. All the accounts I've been able to find simply say he died of pneumonia.

Anyway, my wife asked me to inquire among the members of the board and see if anyone knows any explanation as to why Longstreet's wound opened up the way it did so many years later.

So, has anyone done a lot of reading about Longstreet? Is it true that he bled to death? If so, is there any medical explanation for why the wound opened up?

He was also 83 at the time. There could be any number of reasons for his demise.

83 years old is considered a good lifespan for a man today, and even more rare in the 1800's, I have read. It is amazing to me that so many of the figures in the Civil War lived so long after, and some with lingering health problems from the war. I also have a high opinion of Longstreet and very much enjoyed reading his memoirs, "From Manassas to Appomattox."

I do have odd feelings about Longstreet, even though I don't know much about his life. Lee kept Longstreet near him - some say because Longstreet needed to be watched - and didn't keep Jackson close - and Jackson did need a steadying eye on him. I think that was not the real reason. Jackson was muy simpatico with Lee, and Lee understood this, but Jackson was also uber-religious, dour, spartan and more than a little quirky. Longstreet, a very different military man than Lee, was personally much more appealing! You went to Old Pete's tent for some lively conversation about something other than the Bible, had a few drinks, a few smokes, a few hands of cards. Longstreet provided something Lee very much needed - just a good friend!

I do have odd feelings about Longstreet, even though I don't know much about his life. Lee kept Longstreet near him - some say because Longstreet needed to be watched - and didn't keep Jackson close - and Jackson did need a steadying eye on him. I think that was not the real reason. Jackson was muy simpatico with Lee, and Lee understood this, but Jackson was also uber-religious, dour, spartan and more than a little quirky. Longstreet, a very different military man than Lee, was personally much more appealing! You went to Old Pete's tent for some lively conversation about something other than the Bible, had a few drinks, a few smokes, a few hands of cards. Longstreet provided something Lee very much needed - just a good friend!

Longstreet got after Jackson on more than one occasion WITHOUT Jackson knowing about it.

Longstreet got after Jackson on more than one occasion WITHOUT Jackson knowing about it.

Longstreet could sure fight when he put his mind to it, though. Lee nicknamed only two people in the war - one was "My Old War Horse!" And his men didn't call him the Bull of the Woods for nothing. I also think it's significant that Lee put Longstreet where Jackson would have gone - second in command. Lee had some other choices but he selected Longstreet.

Longstreet could sure fight when he put his mind to it, though. Lee nicknamed only two people in the war - one was "My Old War Horse!" And his men didn't call him the Bull of the Woods for nothing. I also think it's significant that Lee put Longstreet where Jackson would have gone - second in command. Lee had some other choices but he selected Longstreet.

I agree to a point here, Diane, but he could never uphold his greatness with being on his own. General Lee took the blame
for his mistakes. Longstreet placed the blame of his mistakes on those he could destroy.

I agree to a point here, Diane, but he could never uphold his greatness with being on his own. General Lee took the blame
for his mistakes. Longstreet placed the blame of his mistakes on those he could destroy.

I think a lot of that was defensiveness, as he was attacked pretty heavily from all sides, but you're essentially right. He really did a number on some, and he waited until after Lee was dead to blame him for things like Gettysburg. Dead men don't talk! Although I think he was right on one thing - something was definitely wrong with Lee at that battle. What it was I guess we'll never know! Longstreet did all right at Chickamauga, although I think he was a little arrogant, but he sure didn't shine at Knoxville. He needed Lee.

Back