Cincinnati 1848

captainrlm

Sergeant
I would imagine you are right, those are just great and give the opportunity to get a great look into the past. Beats anything Hollywood can do and then some. They really liked the windows back then lol, let in light and provided air movement. Can you imagine the heating bill? Thanks for sharing.

Very nice photos, thanks for posting. I worked in Cincinnati back in the mid 90's and have always loved the Reds. This city is very interesting if you search it out.

Thanks for the post and article. I just saw "the Enquirer" for May 15th had article. It be worth going to Cincinnati Public Library to see. For those not from Cincinnati "The Enquirer" is the newspaper for this area.

After looking at these photos made me think of Cincinnati's "Tall Stacks Festival. We have gone twice. It has been postponed because of the economy. I read where they hope to hold it in 2012. It is the gathering of steamboats on Cincinnati's Waterfront. It is a sight to behold.

Covington, KY, right across the river from Cincinnati, has some really neat historic neighborhoods. Up until just about 3 or 4 years ago the company that I work for had our offices in Longworth Hall in Cincinnati (built in 1904 just West of the present I-75 bridge), and at lunchtime I would take long walks along the riverfront, across the Central Bridge over the Ohio River into Newport, KY, along the Newport flood wall, then cross the Licking River into Covington, then through Covington to either the Roebling Suspension Bridge or the Clay Wade Bailey bridge back across the Ohio into Cincinnati.

Just a few blocks from the river, on Scott Street in Covington, is the house where U.S. Grant's father lived, and where the General sent his wife and children to live during the war. There's also a home on the banks of the Licking River where LaFayette is known to have visited. Nearby is the home where Daniel Carter Beard, one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America, lived.

I believe that very much more of historic Covington still survives, and most of the homes are in beautiful condition. The corresponding areas of Cincinnati have since been bulldozed and covered with skyscrapers.

Back