Chowning's Tavern Welsh Rarebit with Beer

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The special recipe for National American Beer Day is Chowning's Tavern Welsh Rarebit with Beer. This is one of Colonial Williamsburg's Taverns. Over the years with our many visit to Williamsburg, we have been fortunate to eat in their 4 taverns.

12 oz. beer, divided
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 4 o. of beer
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Simmer 8 oz. of the beer. Stir in dissolved cornstarch solution and return to a simmer.
Reduce heat to low. Add butter and cheese and stir until smooth.
Add all remaining ingredients. Place in ovenproof serving dish. Brown quickly under broiler and serve immediately over thick toast with broiled tomato wedges.

Serves 4.

The special recipe for National American Beer Day is Chowning's Tavern Welsh Rarebit with Beer. This is one of Colonial Williamsburg's Taverns. Over the years with our many visit to Williamsburg, we have been fortunate to eat in their 4 taverns.

12 oz. beer, divided
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 4 o. of beer
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Simmer 8 oz. of the beer. Stir in dissolved cornstarch solution and return to a simmer.
Reduce heat to low. Add butter and cheese and stir until smooth.
Add all remaining ingredients. Place in ovenproof serving dish. Brown quickly under broiler and serve immediately over thick toast with broiled tomato wedges.

Serves 4.
Those Williamsburg taverns really have good food.that is where I fell in love with peanut soup.yummmmmy.

nitrofd Stouffers still has frozen Welsh Rarebit. My local Kroger has them. You might check and see if Winn Dixie or Publix has them in Florida.

I love shopping at Kroger. They have so many items and good prices. I wish they would open some stores in Florida. They are in Georgia but for some reason haven't come to Florida.

nitrofd Stouffers still has frozen Welsh Rarebit. My local Kroger has them. You might check and see if Winn Dixie or Publix has them in Florida.

I love shopping at Kroger. They have so many items and good prices. I wish they would open some stores in Florida. They are in Georgia but for some reason haven't come to Florida.
My wife goes shopping at Kroger all the time with our daughter in Atlanta.I haven't seen them in Publix and Winn Dixie is not the same since Bi-Lo bought them.

Interesting... here's the recipe I came across (simplified slightly for my intentions and skill level) --- looks like a half-size recipe compared to the OP:

Welsh Rarebit

• ¼ cup butter
• ¼ cup all-purpose flour
• Pinch of salt
• ¼ tsp pepper
• ¼ tbsp mustard
• ¼ tsp worcestershire sauce
• 1 cup whole milk
• ½ pound shredded cheddar

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat; blend in flour, salt, pepper, mustard, worcestershire sauce; stir and cook about 5 minutes/until mix is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and slowly stir in milk. Return to heat and stir and cook till a boil. Melt cheddar in in small portions, stirring, blend completely. Remove from heat. Spoon over toasted bread.

(Will let you know how it comes out.)

It took a lot of stirring to get it to come out smooth; in particular the mix did not become "smooth and bubbly" after the adding of the flour until some time after I began adding the milk (which I think I added a bit too quickly). Still, time, heat, and elbow grease (stirring) set things right, and over toasted English muffin bread it was quite tasty!

Today, Sept. 3 is National Welsh Rarebit Day. Try this or another recipe.

One from 1920:

1 tablespoon melted butter
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups grated cheese
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon mustard
2 bouillon cubes
salt and paprika

Combine butter, flour, mustard, and bouillon cubes. Cook over hot water until thick. Add cheese and stir over hot water until cheese is melted. Season to taste. Serve immediately on toasted bread.

From "The Household Searchlight".

Back