Cavalry Boots Question:

History36

Private
Hi all,

We have a pair of original boots (we know who actually worn them during the war, but we're just looking for some basic info here at this time), and I was just curious if anyone here knows of any sutlers who can make reproductions, by chance...?

Here are some pics and thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20160703_174721 (2).jpg
    20160703_174721 (2).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20160904_163235-1.jpg
    IMG_20160904_163235-1.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 283
  • WellingtonBoots.jpg
    WellingtonBoots.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 338
Hi and welcome. I'm sure a re-enacting member will be along to answer your question very soon.

The hard part is getting the shape of the sole right--narrow enough at the instep. Also, the very basics like not having stitching on the top of the sole, as you look down.

I haven't bought shoes for a while. The fellow in Canada--my mind went blank but all the reenactors know him--was he retiring? Edited to add: Robert Land! It just came to me. He made my last pair of shoes. There's also Missouri Boot and Shoe who might be able to do a custom job, or have what you need in stock: http://www.missouribootandshoe.com

MB&S has a page on accuracy that may help here just in general, whether you buy from them or not: http://www.missouribootandshoe.com/our-historical-accuracy.html

James B White has suggested Missouri Boot & Shoe and I heartily second the recommendation. There are few better when it comes to quality, authenticity or standing behind their product. They are also an immense pleasure to work with, I know of no one who has dealt with them to have a complaint.

Thank you gents for the replies & info! Yes, in looking at the site, it would appear that their 'BO-3-' option is a match for the original boot that we have in our collection. I'll recovery from the holiday shopping and give em' a call here fairly soon. I'll be sure to give them as many pictures that I can and I'm excited to see the end results. Thank you again for the tip!
Best regards,
Aaron

Back