Carl Schurz warns that a "system of terrorism" was taking hold in the South after Appomattox

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The report looks at the early development of white vigilante organizations.
schurz2 vigilantes.JPG

I really have to wonder if Andrew Johnson actually read Schurz's report.
"Perplexing questions were naturally to be expected from the great and sudden change in the relations between the two races, but systems are gradually developing themselves under which the freedman will receive the protection to which he is justly entitled, and, by means of his labor, make himself a useful and independent member of the community in which he has his home."​

Several of the women I'm writing about attempted to open schools for black children in the South after the war -- four women off the top of my head -- and all were driven out by terrorist acts upon the schools, and witnessed how others like them were denied protection under the law.

Thanks for writing the article, Pat. Kind of makes the stomach drop, reading about that.

Several of the women I'm writing about attempted to open schools for black children in the South after the war -- four women off the top of my head -- and all were driven out by terrorist acts upon the schools, and witnessed how others like them were denied protection under the law.

Thanks for writing the article, Pat. Kind of makes the stomach drop, reading about that.
In some instances these "Yankee school teachers" sent South by the American Missionary Assoc and other groups were met with terrible abuse by white vigilantes for their efforts. You'll find some incidents in the Congressional KKK Hearings transcripts available on line.

Last edited:
I really have to wonder if Andrew Johnson actually read Schurz's report.
"Perplexing questions were naturally to be expected from the great and sudden change in the relations between the two races, but systems are gradually developing themselves under which the freedman will receive the protection to which he is justly entitled, and, by means of his labor, make himself a useful and independent member of the community in which he has his home."​
Yes. I read the president's transmittal letter before I read Schurz's report for the first time a few years ago. I expected a rosy outlook.

Back