Captain Henry Alexander Chambers, Company C, 49th North Carolina Inf.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
Expired Image Removed

He wrote on 7 June 1861:

“In commencing this diary, it is proper to cast a glance at the past. This time last year, I was situated a bit differently from what I am now. Then, I was at Davidson’s College, the Freshman Class, just fairly embarked in my classic studies. Then my greatest ambition was to excel in intellectual endowments. But the tocsin of war, Civil War, sounded throughout land. A sectional party had gotten the reins of power in its hands. Thus the most stupendous war of America was brought about. Party spirit, sectional animosity and favoritism had ruined the old government.

May the year now commenced witness the successful establishment of a purer and better government. The year 1861 has been a long one, so far as I am individually concerned. I have great reason to be devoutly thankful to the Great Disposer of Events for the blessings showered upon me with a lavish hand. Yet, though He has been so merciful, I am a very great sinner, living in rebellion against Him, daily transgressing His holy law. May I, if spared through the coming year, spend my time in serving Him. I have been a volunteer for about eight months, having volunteered 4th May, 1861 and having been sworn in as one of the N.C. State Troops to serve during the war, on 7th June, 1861."

Service record

“Previously served as Private in Company C, 4th Regiment NC State Troops. Appointed Captain of this company on December 3, 1862. Reported present or accounted for in January-December, 1863, and May-August, 1864. Wounded in the scalp at Five Forks, Virginia, April 1, 1865. “he was youthful in age, but clear-minded, steadfast and useful in all emergencies, ripe in judgment beyond his years, and fearless as a lion.”

North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865, A Roster, p.55. Vol. XII Infantry, 49th-52nd Regiments.

Back