Canteen information equested.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I am working on where Michigan purchased equipment for Michiagn Regiments and have found a manufacture who I do not recognize. I was hopeful that some one interested in Civil War canteens might recognize the name and provide me with some information.

Battle & Hodgetts (city unknown) provided 1460 canteens to Michigan in 1861. I know there is a book about Civil War canteens, but I do not know the name, perhaps someone could provide me the name of the book.

Thank you for your help Tin Cup. The first canteens Michigan issued to Michigan regiments came from William T. Tefft. They were made in Detroit and Tefft made the canteen covers out of red cloth.

William T. Tefft 25 Woodward Avenue Detroit Michigan also listed at 66 Woodward Avenue Detroit, Michigan. In the gazetteer Tefft was listed as a wholesale and retail dealer in Albany and Troy stoves, hardware, Japanned and stamped tin ware, wrought iron pipes, fittings, Ashcrofts steam gauges, manufacture of copper, tin and sheet iron ware. Tefft provided the State with large numbers of canteens, mess pans, tin cups, knives, forks, spoons and camp kettles. He also provided some of the hospital supplies used by Michigan regiments and provided the State with 1000 haversacks.

Back