Cannonball fragment from Charleston, SC? & James Pattern 1, Sub Pattern 1

Geo3310

Cadet
Hello,

I purchased this iron fragment in Charleston, SC several years ago. I am not sure of its origin but hope that it may have some connection to either the Civil or Revolutionary War. I believe that this was submerged in the ocean because of the overall corrosion and sand in the cracks. The measurements are approximately 10.29" diameter (Arc Calc) by 2" thick and it weighs 17 pounds. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

I also added some pics of my James Pattern I, Sub Pattern I shell that was picked up in Southwest VA.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG
image5.JPG
image6.JPG
IMG_5299.JPG

By the thickness and curve, I will hazard a guess that you have a portion of an 11" explosive shell and a pretty nice James. An 11" explosive shell for a Dahlgren Cannon would have had a diameter of 10.8" and a weight of 130#.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. The fragment has definitely seen better days but the info would definitely lend itself to the Charleston connection.

Thanks for the welcome. I sort of jumped right in without introducing myself....I was a little excited.
Welcome from The Trans-Mississippi Department. Nice pics. Great pieces.

Geo3310 - Welcome to the very best Civil War arms and ammunition page to be found on the internet, bar none. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself as the wealth of information to be had here is astounding! If you have time to peruse the archives you will be utterly amazed at what you will find there.
J.

Back