Can you please help me identify this /saber

Jbaileyjr

Cadet
Hello all, I am new to the form and site. I look forward to learning more about people's collections and history. I was hoping for some assistance in identifying a saber I acquired about 15 years ago. When I acquired the saber depicted in the attached photographs, I was not able to get very much information about the maker, year, etc. In the attached pictures, there is no discernible makers Mark(s) on the blade (does not appear to have much rust or pitting, so I'm wondering if perhaps someone cleaned it "thoroughly" before I procured). the only marks I can discern are what appears to be the number 40 on the top of the underside of the guard and 35S on the end of the pommel ( apologies if I'm using the wrong terms). It was represented to me as an authentic 1860s era cavalry saber, but again the person from whom I procured it did not have any other identifying information, so if it is not authentic of course that is on me. Thanks to everyone for any assistance you can provide.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 275
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 244
Hello and Welcome. If those are the only marks and there are none on the blade up by the guard, Look on the top of the blade spine and see if there are any marks there.

Hello and Welcome. If those are the only marks and there are none on the blade up by the guard, Look on the top of the blade spine and see if there are any marks there.
Thanks unfortunately I do not see any other marks, unless I'm looking at the wrong part of the blade

A lot of European makers had there marks on the top. If nothing is there there is no telling as there were a lot of imports with mo markings.

Attachments

• cwt.JPG
    cwt.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 171
Based on the pictures you have supplied, it looks good, for the period, it is certainly not a repro. Does it look as if there was any marking at the base of the blade flat? It appears to be an 1860 Light Cav Saber, then again the pictures are a bit limited in detail.

I tend to think this is an American-made sword on which the maker's marks have been worn/polished off or which was for some reason unmarked from get-go. It is clearly a M1860 cavalry saber with the distinctive humped grip and lighter blade with rounded top edges; virtually all the imports except those by Henry Boker of Solingen are modeled on the M1840 cavalry saber with straight grips. Most imports also had the heavier M1840 blade with angled top edges. In addition, the quillon on your sword also looks American. Imports tend to be more pointed and often have a distinct rim on the underside.

Thank you Richard, guess I'm glad I " bought American". And I guess I may just not be able to confirm maker was in the absence of any marks or identification on that point. Thanks again to everyone so far for your responses.

Foriegn made sabers can be a real challenge during this era. The sometimes had good reason not to put maker marks. That doesnt mean its junk.

Good question, the scabbard actually does not go with the saber, it was one that the person from whom I procured it let me have simply to protect the blade

The scabbard may not have been original to the saber, but it certainly looks like the right model in the photo. Of course it could be a repro - can't really tell just from the photo.

The scabbard does meet it exactly up to the leather where the blade meets the hilt, and has pitting reminiscent of 150 year old relic, but I have not seen any marks on it, and just thought I needed to clarify that it wasn't actually represented as going with the specific saber.

The scabbard does meet it exactly up to the leather where the blade meets the hilt, and has pitting reminiscent of 150 year old relic, but I have not seen any marks on it, and just thought I needed to clarify that it wasn't actually represented as going with the specific saber.

given the politics of the day, being imported and not having maker marks is not necessarily a deal killer.....it could be but not necessarily. I have an item in the same realm.

Back