Can you guess where I am? Part Two

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
This is on the First Day's field, and it's part of a larger photo that I cropped. Where and what is this?

image.jpg

Makes me appreciate more my trip there last year with a lot of the distractions gone and the land clearing they've done. Even so I bet a lot has grown back since last year also.
Is Gettysburg the best battlefield as far as being as close to "original"? Only other place I've been is to Lookout Mountain twice and it seemed pretty pristine at the time except for some people encroachment and vegetation of course.

Makes me appreciate more my trip there last year with a lot of the distractions gone and the land clearing they've done. Even so I bet a lot has grown back since last year also.
Is Gettysburg the best battlefield as far as being as close to "original"? Only other place I've been is to Lookout Mountain twice and it seemed pretty pristine at the time except for some people encroachment and vegetation of course.
Visit Antietam or Shiloh for that.

I think Antietam is pretty close to original form. If the triangular tract of land that the CWTrust is trying to obtain, is obtained, it will most likely look even more so.

Visit Antietam or Shiloh for that.

spotsylvania battlefield looks rather pristine as well, imho. Visit the 'other' Bloody Angle, and then at the next visit to the Smithsonian American History museum, see the 18 inch (i think) tree stump that was halved from all the musket fire.

I believe it closed in 1985. And if I recall correctly it was removed the same year, but I was personally not present to see them removed. It just seems to me in 85 seems to jive with my memory.

I lived on McPherson ridge for the summer of 1978 and remember going there, but it is hard to say definitively which summer it went away for certain.

edit: I see blurb on the web that says "Shields Museum by Buford & Reyond's Monuments. Torn down in 1997.

Last edited:
The museum and camp park was opened by Arthur H. Shields in 1925 and operated until 1985. Besides having cabins, gasoline and souvenirs Mr. Shields' establishment was best known for it's vast display of Gettysburg battlefield relics. When the museum closed in 1985 this vast collection was sold at auction in November of that same year. Subsequently the buildings were razed, I think in 1997.

Back