Can anyone recommend South Carolina, mustard based, barbecue?

There is a part of South Carolina that was settled by Germans and they serve a mustard based pork barbecue. I was wonder if it was worth seeking out.

Yes. Is different but very good, especially with chicken.

I like South Carolina mustard barbeque.

You might find this book of interest.

history_of_South_Carolina_barbeque.jpg

Attachments

• history_of_South_Carolina_barbeque.jpg
    history_of_South_Carolina_barbeque.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 18
There is a part of South Carolina that was settled by Germans and they serve a mustard based pork barbecue. I was wonder if it was worth seeking out.
A bit of a late response, but you should absolutely check it out... especially if you are in Charleston. I grew up there and with my family, it was tomato-based BBQ, then I discovered mustard-based and it changed my world. (Then I moved to Texas and discovered vinegar-based and also loved it).
So, what was the verdict???

A bit of a late response, but you should absolutely check it out... especially if you are in Charleston. I grew up there and with my family, it was tomato-based BBQ, then I discovered mustard-based and it changed my world. (Then I moved to Texas and discovered vinegar-based and also loved it).
That's interesting. I thought vinegar-based sauces started in the east (Carolinas, Virginia, etc) and as it spread west it became tomato based. If what I grew up learning and experiencing is correct, your experiences were in reverse to mine. I learn new stuff everyday!

You need to stop moving, John or you will run out of sauces! The last number of years I have really gotten into dry rub (of course this is on chicken wings). I love the hotness and it is neater with less napkins. :chicken:

I never knew this was a thing. There are several recipes online - after some reading it still seems blasphemous to me, but I'll try anything once.

It is blasphemous. I've lived a variety of places and traveled to lots of places where they think their barbecue is absolutely the best. Found most of it to be terrific, if different. But that mustard stuff, yuck!

You can also find mustard-based sauces in Georgia and east-central Alabama.
It would be interesting to know about those areas in Georgia and Alabama. It is my understanding that the mustard-based sauces in the Carolinas originated with German immigrants. It would be interesting to see if those areas in AL and GA also have a German influence.

It would be interesting to know about those areas in Georgia and Alabama. It is my understanding that the mustard-based sauces in the Carolinas originated with German immigrants. It would be interesting to see if those areas in AL and GA also have a German influence.

I don't know. Phenix City, Alabama, on the Alabama-Georgia line has had it for decades but I am not sure if it is German-inspired or just a copy from South Carolina.

I never knew this was a thing. There are several recipes online - after some reading it still seems blasphemous to me, but I'll try anything once.
I hear ya.

As a member of an old award winning whole hog team at Memphis in May, I don't get the vinegar thing either.

But I'm not knocking it all.
I've heard of the vinegar based Carolina Q . . . just never tasted any.

I'm told it's good.

You need to stop moving, John or you will run out of sauces! The last number of years I have really gotten into dry rub (of course this is on chicken wings). I love the hotness and it is neater with less napkins. :chicken:

Oh, I hope I never run out of sauces and if moving can get me exposure to more- sign me up to relocate!!!
Now my favorite is a combo of 50% Texas Pete pepper sauce, 50% salted butter, with chopped jalapenos

Back