Camp Nelson, Kentucky : Federal Training Site and Supply Depot

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Camp Nelson was established as a supply depot for Federal invasions into Tennessee in 1863. It was named for Major General William "Bull" Nelson, who had recently been murdered in Louisville, Kentucky by Brigadier General Jefferson C. Davis. It was placed near Hickman Bridge, the only bridge across the Kentucky River upriver from the state capital (Frankfort, Kentucky). The site was selected to protect the bridge, to have a base of operations in central Kentucky, and to prepare to attack the Cumberland Gap and eastern Tennessee. The camp was also used as a site to train new soldiers for the Federal army. The Kentucky River's steep palisades contributed to the selection of the site—they would help defend the camp from Confederate attack. Camp Nelson may have been the best choice for a central Kentucky depot, but it was inadequate. When Federal Major General Ambrose Burnside attacked the Cumberland Gap and Knoxville, Tennessee, Camp Nelson's distance from the Gap and Knoxville, combined with lack of railroads and the weather, hampered the Federal advance. When overall Federal comander Major General Ulysses S. Grant visited Camp Nelson in January 1864, he was displeased, observing that "no portion of our supplies can be hauled by teams from Camp Nelson". The situation of the camp had not improved by spring of 1864, and Grant leaned toward abandoning it entirely. Major General William Tecumseh Sherman advocated that its role be diminished instead, which saved Camp Nelson. It took on the role of training black soldiers, who volunteered for the U.S. Colored Troops. * Wikipedia

* Vintage photo of Camp Nelson.

CampNelsonRefugeehutslarge.jpg

* Camp Nelson was named after Federal Major General William "Bull" Nelson.

Nelson.jpg

* Kentucky State Historical Marker near the entrance to the park.

IMG_5950.JPG

* The Camp Nelson Interpretive Center (Visitor Center).

IMG_6001.JPG

* The White House (Officer's Quarters).

IMG_5968.JPG

* The Northern Line of Earthen Fortifications.

IMG_5972.JPG

* Graveyard Number 1 Monument.

IMG_5977.JPG

* Graveyard Number 1 Monument Close-Up.

IMG_5979.JPG

* Site of Fort Putnam.

IMG_5981.JPG

* Site of Camp Nelson Prison.

IMG_5986.JPG

* Camp Nelson Cistern.

IMG_5992.JPG

* Camp Nelson National Cemetery.

IMG_5943.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2012)

Last edited:
Another interesting thread with great photos.

My paternal grandparents are buried at Maple Grove Cemetery in Nicholasville, Ky. which is near Camp Nelson. I went to visit their graves about 2 weeks ago, next time we will have to stop by Camp Nelson.

The Murder of William "Bull" Nelson :

On September 29th, 1862 at 8:00 am, Brigadier General Jefferson C. Davis met Major General William "Bull" Nelson in the lobby of the Galt House in Louisville, Kentucky. The two Federal generals confronted each other and harsh words were exchanged. The argument culminated with Nelson slapping Davis across the head. Embarrassed, Davis borrowed a revolver from a friend, and as Nelson turned to head down the stairs, he challenged him to a fight. Nelson was unarmed, but nonetheless Davis fired one shot, which killed him.

IMG_20160804_182814.jpg
BullNelsonShooting.jpg

william-bull-nelson-granger.jpg

Thank you for providing the photos and history of Camp Nelson. Being new to the forum, I have been spending much of my time reading old threads and posts about topics in which I am interested. Just stumbled across this thread when I saw the reference to your most recent post in the recent post roundup. My interest stems from the fact that one of my great, great grandfathers who was with the 26th Kentucky Infantry Regiment was stationed there around 1863-64. I knew practically nothing else prior to reading this.

An archaeological report of the site is in, "For the Convenience and Comforts of the Soldiers and Employees at the Depot" , Archaeological Perspectives of the Civil War, Clarence Geiger and Stephen Potter, ed., (Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 2000).

Thank you for providing the photos and history of Camp Nelson. Being new to the forum, I have been spending much of my time reading old threads and posts about topics in which I am interested. Just stumbled across this thread when I saw the reference to your most recent post in the recent post roundup. My interest stems from the fact that one of my great, great grandfathers who was with the 26th Kentucky Infantry Regiment was stationed there around 1863-64. I knew practically nothing else prior to reading this.

You are very welcome!

I love learning about the lesser known American Civil War battlefields and sites.

Bill

On this day in 1862, U.S. Army Major General William "Bull" Nelson was shot at point-blank range by Brigadier General Jefferson C. Davis at the Galt House (Hotel) in Louisville, Kentucky. Davis was arrested but not prosecuted for the murder. Nelson is buried at his birthplace in Maysville, Kentucky.

20200929_151948.jpg

Back