Camp life Atlanta Campaign

Covington Rebel

Private
From "Blood and Sacrifice" .... December, 1863 - North Georgia near Dalton. My 2x g gf, is Sergeant A.H. McLaurin in Co. B, 46th Miss., they are in winter camp.

"We are in the woods and the tumult of the camp is hushed in sleep. Late in the afternoon it began to rain, and about midnight we had a storm of wind that made a plaything of our frail shelter, accompanied by a perfect deluge of rain. In a moment we were soaked, and as we could have no fire we had to stand or sit or lie in the water and mud 'til daylight, and the rain was still pouring down. It was truly a disagreeable time. As Lt. Buchanan, some others and I were huddled around the place where our fire had been, and Lt. Buchanan was grumbling at our case, Sergeant McLaurin (who had covered his face with something and was still lying down) called out, "Yes, that's what you get by voting 'peaceable secession'!"

Lt. Buchanan quickly shouted, "Yes, by George! And I'd do it again!" and he grumbled not another word the rest of the night."

From "Blood and Sacrifice" .... December, 1863 - North Georgia near Dalton. My 2x g gf, is Sergeant A.H. McLaurin in Co. B, 46th Miss., they are in winter camp.

"We are in the woods and the tumult of the camp is hushed in sleep. Late in the afternoon it began to rain, and about midnight we had a storm of wind that made a plaything of our frail shelter, accompanied by a perfect deluge of rain. In a moment we were soaked, and as we could have no fire we had to stand or sit or lie in the water and mud 'til daylight, and the rain was still pouring down. It was truly a disagreeable time. As Lt. Buchanan, some others and I were huddled around the place where our fire had been, and Lt. Buchanan was grumbling at our case, Sergeant McLaurin (who had covered his face with something and was still lying down) called out, "Yes, that's what you get by voting 'peaceable secession'!"

Lt. Buchanan quickly shouted, "Yes, by George! And I'd do it again!" and he grumbled not another word the rest of the night."
Miserable. Probably colder than a well digger's donkey too.

Any US Army Ranger who went through the Mountain Phase at Camp Merrill during the Winter months can testify to the nasty weather. The temperatures drop very low at night and many students suffer frostbite in addition to other ailments.

Back