Burnside's Bridge Chilmark

rhettbutler1865

Colonel, CSA Cavalry
Honored Fallen Comrade
I've been talking about these Francis Barnum's Chilmarks, and, until now,have been unable to post any photos. This is his most challenging work, he told me. Just thought I'd share it...hope you enjoy it! If you would like more photos,I finally learned how to post them!
burnside1.JPG
About time (I'm 60) --but as far as technology, I belong in the 1800's:lee:

Last edited:
It's a very nice piece. What is the approximate size? Looks like it could be 18 - 24" long or bigger, but it's hard to say. Is it part of an edition? By that, I mean a limited number of castings from the original? Or is it a "one-off?"

It's a very nice piece. What is the approximate size? Looks like it could be 18 - 24" long or bigger, but it's hard to say. Is it part of an edition? By that, I mean a limited number of castings from the original? Or is it a "one-off?"
It is 2 feet wide, about 10" tall (I think)...Yes. all his works are "limited edition"--It took me 20 years to find this one!

It is 2 feet wide, about 10" tall (I think)...Yes. all his works are "limited edition"--It took me 20 years to find this one!
I made a good guess about the size. I was pretty sure it was part of an edition, too, because VERY few sculptors would go to this amount of effort for just one small casting. You have a very nice piece there, my friend. I think it was well worth the wait!

I made a good guess about the size. I was pretty sure it was part of an edition, too, because VERY few sculptors would go to this amount of effort for just one small casting. You have a very nice piece there, my friend. I think it was well worth the wait!
Thank you! Yes, his work is, without a doubt, the finest, most detailed sculpting I have ever seen! I didn't post it to "show off" (I know you don't think that)--I just wanted people here who have asked me for photos to see at least one!

That's a pretty sculpture - but at 2 feet long, it's a little too big for my tastes (and desk space).
It's his largest sculpture...he even has what he calls "miniature event pieces"--and everything in between. The man is SO talented! The detail in person is astonishing! (the faces almost look like photos!)

Wow, I would be proud to own that.
Thank you. As I said, it took me 20 years to find it! I looked everywhere...As I collected his many other CW pieces, this was always elusive to me...20 long years I toiled to get this one! The only reason I'm posting it is that many have asked for a photo...(believe me, I'm not trying to show off:redface:)

Back