Burned buildings in the vicinity of Gettysburg

Tom Elmore

Captain
Member of the Year
A number of dwellings were burned during the battle, some deliberately and some accidentally:

1. Peter Trostle house - assessed to be accidental. Located one mile east of Gettysburg, the house was burned. John H. Eckert farmed the place and lived in part of the house, with his daughter Mary Jane. They left the place vacant on July 1 on account of the danger. The Confederates also reportedly took one horse, five sheep, one hog, and three shoulders of meat from the premises. My research indicates this house is an excellent candidate for the one described by John O. Casler, Company A, 33rd Virginia, serving with the Pioneer Corps [Four Years in the Stonewall Brigade]: During the second day’s fighting we were short of rations and went to a large farm house close by where a bountiful supply of provisions was found. The table was still set with dishes on it ... found several barrels of flour, a smoke-house full of bacon, a spring house full of milk and butter, a garret full of crocks of apple-butter … ate well for two days and filled our haversacks. In the evening of the 3rd day by some carelessness, the house caught on fire in the second story from the stovepipe. I was on the hill watching the artillery duel and looked toward the house and saw smoke. Several of us ran to the house. The men inside that were cooking did not know it was on fire. Found upstairs all in flames … carried everything out of the lower story and basement and put them in the garden near the barn. … House soon reduced to ashes, but it was done accidentally and we regretted it very much. … I suppose the inhabitants thought it was set on fire by shells – several had hit near there and one had gone through the barn.

2. Sherfy barn - suspicious. Per a recent post, the barn was reportedly set on fire by Federal artillery. But because the Zouaves of the 114th Pennsylvania occupied the barn when opposing the advance by Brig. Gen. Barksdale's Mississippians, I am not fully convinced it was an accident. Major George B. Gerald of the 18th Mississippi led a group that entered the barn and shot down the Federal occupants. At least three burned bodies wearing Zouave uniforms were discovered in the barn after the fight and lie buried in the National Cemetery.

3. Harman house - deliberate. The Emanuel Harman farm, with 102 acres under cultivation and 22 acres of woods, contained an impressive two-story frame house that was located upon a bluff about 100 yards west of Willoughby Run, together with a stone barn, corn crib, wagon shed, and smoke house. It was also known as the McClean house, having originally been built by the Rev. Charles G. McClean (who was an uncle by marriage to Stonewall Jackson!) At the time of the July 1 battle, the house was occupied by two women, Amelia Harman and her aunt, the farmer having left to hide the farm's horses. The house was built like a fortress, with 18-inch walls and heavy wooden shutters. Amelia Harman recalled the Federal cavalry who came rushing past their house early on July 1. As she and her aunt peered out the west-facing window on the second floor, a minie ball slammed into the shutter just inches away - the fields to the west were filled with crouching Confederate skirmishers. Not long afterwards, soldiers of the 24th Michigan approached the house after their brigade had driven back Brig. Gen. Archer's command, but they departed when their regiment moved back east of the run. Confederate skirmishers were then sent forward and occupied the place until driven out by Company K of the 80th New York (20th NY State Militia), later reinforced by Company G, altogether totaling more than 70 men. They departed the premises at 3 p.m. before the advance of Pettigrew's North Carolina brigade. When the two women came up at that time from the basement to the kitchen, they found a group of determined Confederate soldiers lighting a fire under a pile of newspapers, books, rags and furniture. The soldiers were unmoved by the pleas of the two women to spare their home. Capt. Benjamin Little of the 52nd North Carolina said the house was burned by the order of Col. Marshall because of the Federal sharpshooters posted there. The two women escaped by traveling west, through the advancing Confederate army. [sources: Battle of Gettysburg and the Christian Commission, statement of Capt. Little; Official Report of Col. Morrow, 24th Michigan; Seward R. Osborne, Holding the Left at Gettysburg, The 20th New York State Militia on July 1, 1863; Richard Wheeler, Witness to Gettysburg]

4. John Herbst barn - suspicious. I have no further details on this incident, but it is not far from the Harman farm, so perhaps it was burned by Pettigrew's men as well during their advance on July 1.

5. Alexander Currens, house and barn - suspicious. Located on the Emmitsburg Road on the south edge of the field, the dwellings were between the lines, contested on the one hand by Georgians from Brig. Gen. G. T. Anderson's brigade, Hart's South Carolina battery, and a cobbled together group led by Col. John L. Black of the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry, and on the opposing side by skirmishers of the 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Supposedly torched by errant artillery fire, this does not seem probable given their location and the fact that both house and barn were burned. I recall (but cannot confirm the source just yet) that a Confederate straggler who entered a house in this vicinity claimed the food was poisoned. Was it an act of retribution? It may have been an accidental poisoning if the soldier consumed something he thought was edible. One such soldier of the 8th Georgia (coincidentally in Anderson's brigade) recalled that a bag of "salt" that was used to flavor a large quantity of meat in a boiler turned out in fact to be scouring powder, which ruined the meat. Incidentally, Joseph Alexander Currens, the son of Alexander and Elizabeth Currens, was discharged on July 28, 1863 from the 165th Pennsylvania. It must have come as a tremendous shock to learn that his home had recently burned down.

6. Bliss barn - deliberate. I will not go into details because this incident is well documented. Its location between Seminary and Cemetery Ridges made it an ideal location for skirmishers of both armies, and hence a dangerous bastion to the side that did not control it.

Last edited:
I have never heard of any of this. I kmow Fredricksburg was damaged by Union soldiers during the battle there in 62. I wonder which other battles had buildings destroyed like this. Not from shell fire but deliberate torching

I have never heard of any of this. I kmow Fredricksburg was damaged by Union soldiers during the battle there in 62. I wonder which other battles had buildings destroyed like this. Not from shell fire but deliberate torching

If you want to learn about burning buildings, read about Sherman's march through Georgia. That will be a pyro-delight for anyone who likes this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Most of the town of Emmitsburg, Maryland (just down from Gettysburg) burned shortly before the battle.

If you want to learn about burning buildings, read about Sherman's march through Georgia. That will be a pyro-delight for anyone who likes this sort of thing.
I meant as part of and during a battle rather than during a campaign or journey like Sherman through Georgia. And yes I agree, Sherman did an excellent job

For such a massive battle, it could have been worse? I guess saying something like that to someone who lost everything would be awful. Still, so much artillery, so many men intent on killing each other in a 3 ( or 4 ) day battle in and around a town- sort of a miracle the list is so short? And civilian casualties, one killed, I forget how many wounded ( if you include John Burns ), 6 or 9? Not sure ' captured ' was ever known, including Gettysburg's black community and please, that was not an invitation to an argument.

A number of dwellings were burned during the battle, some deliberately and some accidentally:

1. Peter Trostle house - assessed to be accidental. Located one mile east of Gettysburg, the house was burned. John H. Eckert farmed the place and lived in part of the house, with his daughter Mary Jane. They left the place vacant on July 1 on account of the danger. The Confederates also reportedly took one horse, five sheep, one hog, and three shoulders of meat from the premises. My research indicates this house is an excellent candidate for the one described by John O. Casler, Company A, 33rd Virginia, serving with the Pioneer Corps [Four Years in the Stonewall Brigade]: During the second day’s fighting we were short of rations and went to a large farm house close by where a bountiful supply of provisions was found. The table was still set with dishes on it ... found several barrels of flour, a smoke-house full of bacon, a spring house full of milk and butter, a garret full of crocks of apple-butter … ate well for two days and filled our haversacks. In the evening of the 3rd day by some carelessness, the house caught on fire in the second story from the stovepipe. I was on the hill watching the artillery duel and looked toward the house and saw smoke. Several of us ran to the house. The men inside that were cooking did not know it was on fire. Found upstairs all in flames … carried everything out of the lower story and basement and put them in the garden near the barn. … House soon reduced to ashes, but it was done accidentally and we regretted it very much. … I suppose the inhabitants thought it was set on fire by shells – several had hit near there and one had gone through the barn.

2. Sherfy barn - suspicious. Per a recent post, the barn was reportedly set on fire by Federal artillery. But because the Zouaves of the 114th Pennsylvania occupied the barn when opposing the advance by Brig. Gen. Barksdale's Mississippians, I am not fully convinced it was an accident. Major George B. Gerald of the 18th Mississippi led a group that entered the barn and shot down the Federal occupants. At least three burned bodies wearing Zouave uniforms were discovered in the barn after the fight and lie buried in the National Cemetery.

3. Harman house - deliberate. The Emanuel Harman farm, with 102 acres under cultivation and 22 acres of woods, contained an impressive two-story frame house that was located upon a bluff about 100 yards west of Willoughby Run, together with a stone barn, corn crib, wagon shed, and smoke house. It was also known as the McClean house, having originally been built by the Rev. Charles G. McClean (who was an uncle by marriage to Stonewall Jackson!) At the time of the July 1 battle, the house was occupied by two women, Amelia Harman and her aunt, the farmer having left to hide the farm's horses. The house was built like a fortress, with 18-inch walls and heavy wooden shutters. Amelia Harman recalled the Federal cavalry who came rushing past their house early on July 1. As she and her aunt peered out the west-facing window on the second floor, a minie ball slammed into the shutter just inches away - the fields to the west were filled with crouching Confederate skirmishers. Not long afterwards, soldiers of the 24th Michigan approached the house after their brigade had driven back Brig. Gen. Archer's command, but they departed when their regiment moved back east of the run. Confederate skirmishers were then sent forward and occupied the place until driven out by Company K of the 80th New York (20th NY State Militia), later reinforced by Company G, altogether totaling more than 70 men. They departed the premises at 3 p.m. before the advance of Pettigrew's North Carolina brigade. When the two women came up at that time from the basement to the kitchen, they found a group of determined Confederate soldiers lighting a fire under a pile of newspapers, books, rags and furniture. The soldiers were unmoved by the pleas of the two women to spare their home. Capt. Benjamin Little of the 52nd North Carolina said the house was burned by the order of Col. Marshall because of the Federal sharpshooters posted there. The two women escaped by traveling west, through the advancing Confederate army. [sources: Battle of Gettysburg and the Christian Commission, statement of Capt. Little; Official Report of Col. Morrow, 24th Michigan; Seward R. Osborne, Holding the Left at Gettysburg, The 20th New York State Militia on July 1, 1863; Richard Wheeler, Witness to Gettysburg]

4. John Herbst barn - suspicious. I have no further details on this incident, but it is not far from the Harman farm, so perhaps it was burned by Pettigrew's men as well during their advance on July 1.

5. Alexander Currens, house and barn - suspicious. Located on the Emmitsburg Road on the south edge of the field, the dwellings were between the lines, contested on the one hand by Georgians from Brig. Gen. G. T. Anderson's brigade, Hart's South Carolina battery, and a cobbled together group led by Col. John L. Black of the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry, and on the opposing side by skirmishers of the 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Supposedly torched by errant artillery fire, this does not seem probable given their location and the fact that both house and barn were burned. I recall (but cannot confirm the source just yet) that a Confederate straggler who entered a house in this vicinity claimed the food was poisoned. Was it an act of retribution? It may have been an accidental poisoning if the soldier consumed something he thought was edible. One such soldier of the 8th Georgia (coincidentally in Anderson's brigade) recalled that a bag of "salt" that was used to flavor a large quantity of meat in a boiler turned out in fact to be scouring powder, which ruined the meat. Incidentally, Joseph Alexander Currens, the son of Alexander and Elizabeth Currens, was discharged on July 28, 1863 from the 165th Pennsylvania. It must have come as a tremendous shock to learn that his home had recently burned down.

6. Bliss barn - deliberate. I will not go into details because this incident is well documented. Its location between Seminary and Cemetery Ridges made it an ideal location for skirmishers of both armies, and hence a dangerous bastion to the side that did not control it.

Thanks Tom! I have printed this to bring with me to Gettysburg in September.

Thank you Tom, very compelling info.

Does anyone know if incendiary shells technology existed during the Civil War? I have never heard on any. If they did, I am sure that significantly more buildings would of been lost to fire.

There are numerous buildings around Gettysburg that show shell damage incurred during the battle. However the damage we see today is just holes or a shell embedded in brick ( some being mortered in post battle). What type of shell was hot enough to start a fire in a wooden structure? I assume a solid shell was typically not "hot" enough to start a fire. I am soliciting input from artillery experts on what type of shells could start a fire.

I particuraily liked the scouring powder versus salt vignette.

There were types of incendiary shells (Greek Fire, etc.) available during the Civil War, but they were primarily for large caliber guns (such shells were used against Charleston). Explosive shells would start the fires when they exploded, solid shot could be heated for "Hot Shot" but they were seldom used.

Got to find the reference, but according to a private in 77th NY, the barn was still there the morning of July 3rd and was found burned when they surveyed the field (after the 3rd.) Likely it was a cannonade victim, and based on its position (pretty close to the right center line of the confederate artillery during the cannonade,) likely a victim of federal canon fire.

Artillery map from here (great article, btw.)

fig63.jpg

There were types of incendiary shells (Greek Fire, etc.) available during the Civil War, but they were primarily for large caliber guns (such shells were used against Charleston). Explosive shells would start the fires when they exploded, solid shot could be heated for "Hot Shot" but they were seldom used.

In Gordon Rhea's book on Spotsylvania he mentions the Confederates on Laurel Hill using incendiary shells to burn down the Spindle House as it was being used by Union Sharpshooters.

For such a massive battle, it could have been worse? I guess saying something like that to someone who lost everything would be awful. Still, so much artillery, so many men intent on killing each other in a 3 ( or 4 ) day battle in and around a town- sort of a miracle the list is so short? And civilian casualties, one killed, I forget how many wounded ( if you include John Burns ), 6 or 9? Not sure ' captured ' was ever known, including Gettysburg's black community and please, that was not an invitation to an argument.
Yes, it is amazing that there were no more civilian casualties at Gettysburg than there were. Both at Gettysburg and Fredericksburg, you have the very rare instances of the war where urban combat took place, both street fighting and house to house. That no more civilian deaths occurred than did is a miracle.

In Gordon Rhea's book on Spotsylvania he mentions the Confederates on Laurel Hill using incendiary shells to burn down the Spindle House as it was being used by Union Sharpshooters.
I have been unable to find any references on incendiary shells that are of field sized use (under 30#). I would be very curious as to what his references were. I believe that he was referring to explosive shells.

No matter how much you read about it it means nothing until it happens to you I am not saying people don't feel bad. I am sure they do But years later when I hear a house burned down washed away I get a knot in my stomach thinking of what happened to me and in some way I guess I can share their pain.

Bliss barn - deliberate. I will not go into details because this incident is well documented. Its location between Seminary and Cemetery Ridges made it an ideal location for skirmishers of both armies, and hence a dangerous bastion to the side that did not control it.

JPK was killed when the 126th NY sent part of his company to clear skirmishers out of the barn. He's apparently an Unknown in the National Cemetery. I've been wondering why since the rest of the 126th's casualties seem to be there and named. That fire must have been huge. Now I wonder if his body was burned beyond the ability of anyone to ID.

Harman house - deliberate. The Emanuel Harman farm, with 102 acres under cultivation and 22 acres of woods, contained an impressive two-story frame house that was located upon a bluff about 100 yards west of Willoughby Run, together with a stone barn, corn crib, wagon shed, and smoke house. It was also known as the McClean house, having originally been built by the Rev. Charles G. McClean (who was an uncle by marriage to Stonewall Jackson!) At the time of the July 1 battle, the house was occupied by two women, Amelia Harman and her aunt, the farmer having left to hide the farm's horses. The house was built like a fortress, with 18-inch walls and heavy wooden shutters.

There's an article about Carrie Sheads mentioning this, getting into some of her pupils. Amelia is described without her name mentioned, how the home was connected to Stonewall and set on fire. Carrie's fame in 2019 seems limited to that famous sword but in 1863 the story of her whole battle is big news.

Back