Bullet Identification

shanniereb

Sergeant Major
004.JPG
Can anyone identify this bullet for me? It is .69 caliber found in SC near the lowcountry.
003.JPG

View attachment 4162 Can anyone identify this bullet for me? It is .69 caliber found in SC near the lowcountry. View attachment 4161

Shanniereb.

It appears to be a two ring Confederate made bullet, I have a three ring Federal made .69 Calibre minie ball found in a field near the house where I grew up..

GG Grandfather John M. Carlisle -- Chaplain 7th SC Inf.
GG Uncle James H. Carlisle – signer of SC Ordinance of Secession
G Grandfather Nathaniel L. McCormick—Private, Battery E 40th [3rd] N C Artillery
G Grandfather Thomas M. Bolton – Private, Co. G 19th Va. Inf.
G Uncle Dougald McCormick--Private Co. D 46th NC Inf.
G Uncle Duncan McCormick – Private, NC Home Guard
G Uncle Alexander Mc Cormick –1st Sgt, Co. B 6th Ms Inf.
G Uncle Murdoch McCormick—Private, Ms Home Guard
G Uncle James W. Bolton – Private, Co. B (Rives) Nelson Light Artillery (Va.), 1864 Co. G, 19th Va. Inf.
G Uncle Albert G. Bolton – Private, Co. F 27th Va. Inf.
G Uncle Alexander H. Bolton – Private, Co. D 7th Va. Inf.
G Uncle Lindsey C. Bolton – Private, Co. B. 1st Va. Reserves
G Uncle Thomas D. Boone – Captain,. Co. F 1st NC Inf.
G. Uncle James D. Boone -- Quartermaster sergeant, Co. F 1st NC Inf.
G Uncle John W. Boone -- Private, Co. D 59th (4th Cav.) NC, 1st NC Inf. Co. F
G Uncle Peter Lindsey Breeden—Captain, Co. E, 4th SC Cav.
G Uncle A.J. Breeden – Private, Co. E. 4th SC Cav.
Cousins –Daniel McKinnon, Luther McKinnon, John N. McKinnon, McKay McKinnon, Murdoch McKinnon -- all privates in Company E 40th (3rd) NC artillery [heavy]

Two ring Confederate.
Bob, just so I understand you correctly, if it has two rings, it is Confederate and three, Union? I was looking at a display a few years back, I think it was at Fort Fisher and I wondered how they knew the difference.

I was thinking it was Confederate, but wasn't quiet sure. Thanks
It's not Confederate. In the McKee and Mason book it would be M&M 285 or 286. These are Union bullets that us bullet collectors (leadheads) have been calling "Prussians" for years and I don't know how they got the name. They are not imported or specifically for a Prussian rifled-musket, they were manufactured in the north for use in any .69/.70 rifled muskets.
As for the two and three rings. There are two groove Union bullets and there are three groove Confederate bullets.

It's not Confederate. In the McKee and Mason book it would be M&M 285 or 286. These are Union bullets that us bullet collectors (leadheads) have been calling "Prussians" for years and I don't know how they got the name. They are not imported or specifically for a Prussian rifled-musket, they were manufactured in the north for use in any .69/.70 rifled muskets.
As for the two and three rings. There are two groove Union bullets and there are three groove Confederate bullets.

That really helps to clear it up for me. That in a way was why I asked, because it didn't look exactly to be of Confederate manufacture. Thanks

You are welcome shanniereb. You may want to check the Thomas Publications website. A Handbook of Civil War Bullets and Cartridges by Jim and Dean Thomas is an excellent and affordable basic reference for Civil War bullets.
But be careful. The collecting of the many varieties of Union and Confederate bullets can be habit forming! First you buy a .58 caliber Confederate Gardner bullet, then you just have to have an example of the .54 caliber, and then a .69 to go with the .58. Before you know it you're hooked. :D

Bob, just so I understand you correctly, if it has two rings, it is Confederate and three, Union? I was looking at a display a few years back, I think it was at Fort Fisher and I wondered how they knew the difference.
Number of rings doesn't designate either Union or Confederate. the reason that I gave it a Confedrate identity is that I have found several of this type dropped in a Confederate camp here in Tennessee. It could be Union as stated above but I still lean Confederate.

Back