Brigadier General Henry Prince (USA)

ColorizedPast

Corporal
This is my fifth portrait I ever colorized, but the first after I followed Zurah's tutorial. Most of my colorizations will be more unknown generals, as I am coloring them for use in AGEOD's Civil War II game for PC. The well-known top guys all have pictures (though they could be better), but the lesser known generals all have generic portraits.

Brigadier General Henry Prince was born 19 June 1811 in Eastport, Maine. He graduated from West Point 30th in the class of 1835. As a 2nd Lieutenant with the 4th U.S. Infantry, he was seriously wounded fighting Seminoles in 1836. He won a brevet to Captain for gallantry at Contreras and Churubusco during the Mexican War, and following another severe wound at Molino del Rey, was brevetted Major. Until 1862, he served on paymaster or staff duty.

Commissioned Brigadier General of Volunteers 28 August 1862, he assumed command of the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, II Corps, Army of Virginia on 16 July, then took command of the 2nd Division on 9 August for the Battle of Cedar Mountain. He was captured and held until December.

Following the Battle of Gettysburg, he led the 2nd Division, III Corps, Army of the Potomac, in a number fo engagements against elements of the retreating Confederate army around Harper's Ferry and western Maryland. His performance during the Bristoe and Mine Run Campaigns dissatisfied Major General George G. Meade, and corps commander Major General William H. French blamed him for the division's failure to engage Confederate troops on 26 November 1863.

He commanded garrison troops in the Districts of Cairo, Illinois; Pamlico, North Carolina; and Columbus, Georgia; and briefly the 5th Division, XVIII Corps in the Department of North Carolina.

He was brevetted Colonel and Brigadier General of Regulars on 13 March 1865, and mustered out of volunteer service 30 April 1866. He received a promotion to Lieutenant Colonel of Regulars in the paymaster's department on 3 March 1877 and retired 31 December 1879.

Depressed by his poor health due to wounds earlier in life, he committed suicide in his hotel room in London, England.

Henry Prince 2.jpg

Back