Brigadier General Daniel Tyler (USA)

ColorizedPast

Corporal
Brigadier General Daniel P. Tyler IV (USA)

Tyler was born in Brooklyn, Connecticut on 7 January 1799. He graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1819. He became an authority on artillery and an honest inspector of arms of private contractors. He resigned his commission in May 1834 and became an iron manufacturer. He was president of the Norwich and Worcester Railroad and the Macon and Western Railroad in Georgia. Later, Tyler served as the superintending engineer of the Dauphin and Susquehanna Railroad and the affiliated Allentown Railroad, and became president and engineer when the former was reorganized as the Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad.

At the start of the Civil War, Tyler volunteered to be an aide-de-camp to Brigadier General Robert Patterson in April 1861. He served briefly as the colonel of the 1st Connecticut Infantry. He was appointed brigadier general in the Connecticut Militia on 10 May 1861 and commanded the First Division in Brigadier General Irvin McDowell's Army of Northeastern Virginia at the First Battle of Bull Run. Tyler was mustered out on 11 August 1861. Despite being assigned a large portion of the blame for the disaster at Bull Run, he was appointed brigadier general of volunteers on 13 March 1862. He was sent west and commanded a brigade in the Army of the Mississippi between 1 May and 22 July 1862 during the Siege of Corinth.

At the Battle of Harpers Ferry on 15 September 1862, Tyler's division surrendered to the forces of Confederate Lieutenant General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. Tyler took command of Camp Douglas where he and the 8,000 paroled Union soldiers were confined until formally exchanged. Under his command, the soldiers had to live under similar conditions as the Confederate prisoners from Fort Donelson who had occupied it previously. He commanded at Baltimore, Harper's Ferry, and the District of Delaware.

Tyler resigned his commission in the Union Army on 6 April 1864 and moved to New Jersey. In the 1870s, he moved to Alabama and founded the town of Anniston. He established an iron manufacturing company and was president of the Mobile and Montgomery Railroad. He also acquired large tracts of land in Guadalupe County, Texas.

Daniel Tyler died while visiting New York City on 30 November 1882. Tyler's granddaughter, Edith Carow Roosevelt would later become First Lady of the United States after her marriage to Theodore Roosevelt. His nephew, Robert O. Tyler, was also a brigadier general in the Union Army.

Daniel Tyler.jpg
Daniel Tyler comparison.jpg

Thanks! I'm not an expert restorer, so I'm just coloring these. I HATE items that have patterns on them (like the curtain) that I can't clearly make out. I have to color it, but it is hard to get it right without spending a lifetime examining pixels.

Back