Bombshell Model

corn-fed-erate

Corporal
Ok, this is the pile of wood blocks that I cut for my son. He has just placed them together. On the Halifax he glued them together before he tried to paint. We are going to try painting the blocks first then glue them together.
My question is, is this close enough for a child's model? All Jason wants to know is what colors are appropriate for this ship.
20141115_220449.jpg

Very dark grey hull, natural deck, ochre cabin with dark roof, very dark grey chimney, natural masts, white paddleboxes and red wheels.

Totally made that up, but you'll have a nice-lookin' boat.

Ok, this is the pile of wood blocks that I cut for my son. He has just placed them together. On the Halifax he glued them together before he tried to paint. We are going to try painting the blocks first then glue them together.
My question is, is this close enough for a child's model? All Jason wants to know is what colors are appropriate for this ship.

Any suggestions other than grey?

Very dark grey hull, natural deck, ochre cabin with dark roof, very dark grey chimney, natural masts, white paddleboxes and red wheels.

Gray? No, not during the Civil War! "Haze gray" is a 20th century adaptation of Naval paint schemes. The Naval ships of the period would have been black and white. I suggest you have a look at this full scale model of the USS Water Witch". This is a side wheel steamer that looks to be similar to the one your son built.

BTW, if you ever make it to Columbus Georgia you can see the full scale replica outside of the Civil War Naval Museum. Went there a few years ago, worth the visit.

I just checked my personal photos from our trip. The deck is natural wood, but stained fairly dark. I can post or send you images if you want.

wwitch.jpg

Last edited:
"Haze gray" is a 20th century term, but the concept is older. Many naval vessels and runners in the ACW were deliberately painted in low-visibility color schemes.

Last edited:
"Haze gray" is a 20th century term, but many naval vessels and runners in the ACW were deliberately painted in low-visibility color schemes.

Obviously we need to get Mark F. Jenkins to chime in. Hopefully he will be along soon. From the research I have done for my colorization's that unless the ship was an ironclad it was typically painted B&W. Even some of the ironclad monitors have a very white color scheme to them.

USS Catskill:

p282505107-6.jpg

I haven't joined in because Andy etc has said it all. I thinks it's wonderful you and your son are working on a shared interest together, well done.

View attachment 51866
Great project. :thumbsup:
Post another photo when ya'll are finished.

Back