Blackberry Cordial

Barrycdog

Major
Southern Banner, Jul. 17, 1861 -- page 4

Blackberry Cordial - We published yesterday an item containing a suggested propriety of the friend of the soldiers of Virginia and elsewhere sending them blackberry cordial. A lady of Savannah sends us the following recipe which she has tested and pronounces good;

Take two quarts of blackberry juice, one pound loaf of sugar, half of an ounce of nutmegs, a quarter of an ounce of cloves, half an ounce of cinnamon, half an ounce of allspice - pulverise the spice and boil for fifteen or twenty minutes, then strain; when cold add a pint of brandy.

Savannah Morning News.

My Grandma used to make Blackberry Wine, kept it in jugs in the root cellar. Now I never tried it it as a young Popper, but I hear it'll give you a headache if you drink to much.

Me and my youngest were out riding one morning and found the neighbor kid picking berries. Little One asked "What ya doing?" Neighbor answered "Picking black berries." Little one said. "Them's dew berries, black berries ain't ripe yet."

I was so proud.

i remember picking blackberries wild in Acworth near Red Top Mountain and a doe stuck her head around the patch where I was at in front of me. She made a blow noise and ran off.

i remember picking blackberries wild in Acworth near Red Top Mountain and a doe stuck her head around the patch where I was at in front of me. She made a blow noise and ran off.
My grandma used to send me into patches to get the low hanging ones when I was 8 or 9. Come face to face with a blue racer that chased me I don't know how far till he gave up. Grandma thought that was one of the funniest things she ever saw.

Oregon fooled around with crossing raspberries, dewberries and blackberries - finally came up with the olallieberry or marionberry. Can't find it in the wild but the state makes big bucks off its Marionberry everything - ice cream, muffins, jam, you name it! Downriver are the biggest, fattest, juiciest blackberries anywhere - big as your thumb! All I gotta do is beat the bears to 'em...:running:

Back