1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Betty White... potty mouth

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by jpeter, May 7, 2010.

1. jpeter

jpeter 1st Lieutenant Retired Moderator

Great article from the Washington Post today

Apple pie, apple Betty. The sweetness, the spacey granny thing. The twinkle, the dimples, the cotton-ball coif. It’s the simplest sort of television-era algebra: Let Sue Ann Nivens equal x. Let Rose Nylund equal y. Take the square root of all the love America has left to give. (Take those nights spent watching “Golden Girls” reruns on the Hallmark Channel, with the tray of microwave brownies and the fuzzy blankie — don’t pretend you don’t know.) For this equation alone, the comedy actress Betty White will be famous forever.

[​IMG]NBCBetty White shares a laugh with Kristin Wiig while filming promo's for the special Mother's Day episode of "Saturday Night Live."But she wouldn’t be an Internet-age sensation if Betty didn’t also know how to be naughty, outre. America loves a slightly dirty-minded meemaw with an unerring sense of comic timing. If not for this elusive factor, we wouldn’t be living through a long and building Betty White moment, which fittingly crests on this Mother’s Day weekend with her hosting “Saturday Night Live” — an event that a half-million people more or less demanded through a Facebook campaign earlier this year.

Our society has this thing about old ladies and sauce. A little, but not a lot; a wink, and not more. It’s this idea we like to mull over, that there might be whips kept somewhere in the spare closets of retirement condos.

So it’s Betty White, going blue at awards-show speeches and roasts, using language we at once don’t want her to use and yet crave to hear her utter. Betty White appearing to take tackles in a game of touch football in a commercial for Snickers. Betty White snarling through a viral video clip that pretends to show her as a mean diva on the set of Sandra Bullock romantic comedy film. The hope that she’ll say something on “SNL” (or anywhere) that has to be bleeped out on the time delay by the nation’s word police; that she can and will drop an f-bomb when and if the script calls for it.

More....

http://www.silive.com/entertainment/tvfilm/index.ssf/2010/05/post_71.html

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. brass napoleon

brass napoleon Major Retired Moderator

Didn't know about the SNL appearance, but then I live my life in a paper bag. :tongue: I'll try to catch it though. I think Betty is great. That Snickers commercial is hilarious, and Sue Ann Nivens was one of the great TV characters of all time. I'll never forget the episode when the cast came to visit her in her bedroom when she refused to get out of bed. Every couple minutes the "Magic Fingers" would go off and the whole bed would start shaking. Then, on his way out, Ted Baxter looked up at the ceiling and adjusted his tie in the mirror. :laugh1:

4. Pogster

Pogster Private

Magic Fingers ?
    Shaking bed?
    Ceiling mirror?

What's this world coming to?

5. Glorybound

Glorybound Major Retired Moderator

She's got some great dimple action going still. When I was in the McDonald's band in '71 we all got flown to NY to march in the Macy's parade, and all of us got our pic taken with Betty White on one side, and Paul Lavalle, the band conductor on the other. Don't know what happened to the photo but I remember Ms White's big smile with the dimples. Hey, she made my heart go pitter-patter.

Lee

6. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

At least we're not looking a Betty's thighs.

Ole

7. Will Posey

Will Posey First Sergeant

That woman in the picture with her must have been so excited about being with Betty that she forgot to finish dressing.

Will

8. larry_cockerham

larry_cockerham Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011

I discovered that enlarging the screen size helps with these thumbnails. Don't forget Kristin.

9. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Sergeant Major

Thank you for that vivid bit of imagery, Ole.

I'll not sleep tonight!

10. Glorybound

11. Copper 83rd PA INF

Copper 83rd PA INF Sergeant

I'm actually looking forward to watching her on SNL tonight.

I haven't looked forward to an episode of SNL since Wilco was the musical guest 4 years ago.

12. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

I majored in Home Economics in college (in the dark ages). We loved watching Sue Ann Nivens because everyone thought we were such goody-goody dimwits. She was no dimwit, nor was she goody-goody. I love Betty White (And I loved her in Lake Placid). I want to be her when I grow up!

13. jpeter

Me too.

Whoever said "nice guys finish last" obviously never met her. It's hard not smile every time I see her... and it's been that way for decades.

14. Glorybound

[​IMG]

Betty White in 1970.

15. jpeter

As good as advertised. (The muffin can get yeasty!)

Now we all wait for Youtube memories.

16. brass napoleon

brass napoleon Major Retired Moderator

Hard to live up to all that hype, but from what I saw she hit it out of the park. Way to go Mrs. S-M-I-T-H!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. prroh

prroh Captain

Not being a SNL regular, but a Betty White Fan, I watched most of the show. The muffin bit was funny. Is this spoof of a NPR talk show with two incredibly boring hosts a regular feature? McGiver still facinates despite being off the air for over 20 years. American ingenuity?

The Game Show network had a Betty marathon yesterday (Saturday) Even into her 50s, she was extremely attractive. One show was filmed on her 52nd birthday and she looked great.

18. Nathanb1

I don't know.....it DEPENDS.....:smile:

That woman can say more with one sideways look than most comedians can say in an hour. That's the first time I've watched SNL for quite some time, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

19. jpeter

Yep. Those two women hosts had retired from SNL years ago, but came back for the Mothers Day Show. They used to do this NPR-bit, and it was always pretty funny... and always used the poorly understood, naive, sexual innuendos as they did this time

I wish I had seen that one.

20. Nathanb1

Schwety weiners? Alex Baldwin?

21. Glorybound

The Census sketch was priceless. I'm currently working for the Census (til about June 20th) and the sketch really hit home. Betty's a comedic genius!

Lee

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)