Best foundational books about the causes and personalities of the war

I'd second Elizabeth Varon's book as an introductory text. It goes back into historical differences. Also, I would really recommend against any book that does not include the Missouri Compromise, what caused it, etc...

Although it's old, you might be able to find a used copy online: Glover Moore's book on the Missouri Controvery is excellent. It really analyzes the issues well, and is still the best treatment of the Missouri Compromise.

Most books written on the Civil War over the last three decades are one sided, sometimes severely one sided

Says you, because they don't agree with your agenda? I have tried to understand where you are coming from on this, alas, you gave no examples of such "severely one sided " books. Well, we are getting a little closer, now that Professor McPherson has been targeted...

That being said, @MHB1862 the books that your friend ultimately chooses to begin with is probably the most important decision that one can make when undertaking the study of a new topic, because it is these first books that will leave most lasting impression. Believe it or not, my first book was Killer Angels, which sent me on a Lost Cause tailspin that was almost beyond repair, and I was supposed to be an educated, objective, critically trained thinker. Choose wisely, and even more important, choose wisely those of whom you listen to and act upon, regarding their advice in this realm.

There's probably more than one moderator on board, too. Hard to see why a discussion on books to read has to end with puffed-out keyboards. Calm thyselves. :smile:
Just answering a poster's questions. No need to get excited.

Let's get back to the OP. Thank you.

Last edited:
I will strongly concur with the beginning of Battle Cry of Freedom (really, anyone who has any interest in the Civil War that hasn't read this book should do). I also think very highly of What Hath God Wrought and Impending Crisis. The latter is the best and most important book on the causes of the war that I have encountered.

I think WHGW is rather interesting in that it is written as a general history of a time period NOT about the causes of the war, yet an attentive reader will find the seeds of the war being scattered across that time period.

Goodness gracious!
No author can escape his or her own bias. The trick is to be aware of that unavoidable proclivity and to read more than one book by more than one author to decide for yourself.
Sorry to have been the cause of any vitriol among the responders. The question was about foundational books but seems to have veered in other directions unrelated to the original question.
Again, thanks for the thoughtful input. I passed along many of y'all's offerings to my friend as well as Gallagher's Union War and Confederate War for his consideration.

Says you, because they don't agree with your agenda? I have tried to understand where you are coming from on this, alas, you gave no examples of such "severely one sided " books. Well, we are getting a little closer, now that Professor McPherson has been targeted...

That being said, @MHB1862 the books that your friend ultimately chooses to begin with is probably the most important decision that one can make when undertaking the study of a new topic, because it is these first books that will leave most lasting impression. Believe it or not, my first book was Killer Angels, which sent me on a Lost Cause tailspin that was almost beyond repair, and I was supposed to be an educated, objective, critically trained thinker. Choose wisely, and even more important, choose wisely those of whom you listen to and act upon, regarding their advice in this realm.

Sage counsel Bee. Thanks.
My own first read was a biography of General Lee written for a young audience. I was about 10 when I read it and was hooked forever.

I agree with folks here that the first third of McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom is great for understanding the lead-up to the war. The book in its entirety is considered by many folks the best one-volume book on the war, but personally, I like Bruce Catton's This Hallowed Ground even better, just because Catton writes so well that you can hardly put the book down.

Thank you for replying and indicating that your choice of language was deliberate. It helps us understand your perspective better.

I think one can understand a perspective without defending it. So we differ.

I did not say one can understand a perspective without defending it. I said critical thinking science tells us that when studying any kind of a controversial subject, it is vital to read writings by people who actually believe in each position. It's like trying to study the Baptist faith but never reading a single book authored by a believing Baptist. It's like trying to study liberal economic theory but only reading analyses of it written by conservative scholars. It just gets down to the old principle that you have to hear both sides before you make up your mind, not just trust one side to accurately present the other side's viewpoint.

In reply to Bee and others, here is why I say that McPherson's The Battle Cry of Freedom is one sided: http://miketgriffith.com/files/mcpherson.htm.

Back