Belle Plain Federal Encampment, 2nd Corp 1862

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Belle plain 2nd corp one.jpg

Was saving this for an attempt at creating some even more haunting later, of course had less than no time. The intent was to run it off on watercolor paper and have at it- love watercolors, haven't done them for a few years. This seemed an awfully fine piece to test what might be left of the abilities.

Anyway, still might give it a shot along with a few of the children's portraits. It's vastly different from colorized prints-a whole, ' nother genre. Just love this shot above all other is the Belle Plain encampment/supply series. SO haunting. Not one other photo better illustrates Time's bell- it's vibration post-strike like the hum in the woods you hear above and below the noise of the creek, so elusive! Most important technological advance? Photography . We get to prove we were indeed here, the 2nd Army Corp watered horses in an inlet one warm evening in 1862, a camp settled towards slumber, ships crews emptied cleaned holds at the wharf.

Just a very cool photo if you like getting lost in this kind of thing, tha's all.

Original and cropped.

belle plain 2nd corps2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I think someone listed James River/Belle Plain together ( because it's on the James ) to make it simple because there are dozens- ' Belle Plain Landing '- must have been somewhere called well, Belle Plain, the landing? James River....? Confused. They all are identified this way.

belle plain first landing.jpg

belle plain first landing1.jpg

LoC calls this Belle Plain, first landing. I am not being argumentative, have learned not to be full of nonsense on these topics. Since there are dozens of these inclusive of a pontoon landing later have always accepted it.

belle plain pontoon.jpg

There it is! Have quite a few of these- fun ones, must have been peaceful early mornings. LoC says this is also Belle Plain, pontoon landing.

Last edited:
Really? I think someone listed James River/Belle Plain together ( because it's on the James ) to make it simple because there are dozens- ' Belle Plain Landing '- must have been somewhere called well, Belle Plain, the landing? James River....? Confused. They all are identified this way.

After consulting Frassanito's Grant and Lee, I think that we are both wrong. It was actually taken at Belle Plain Landing along Potomac Creek, a tributary of the Potomac River. As far as I can tell, there was never a Belle Landing along the James River. I believe all of the LoC and NARA information connecting Belle Plain with the James River is wrong as a result.

Oh dear- just remembered the Belle Plain/James River placement from a member who has reason to know a vast amount more than me. No, I am not looking for a tie breaker since it is hardly an even discussion, good Heavens! Please just know Library of Congress, which has had photos misidentified in the past ( with the volumn they must sort and file? Inevitable. We owe a huge amount to these government vaults, keepers of history. ) labels these as ' Belle Plain Landing " and " James River ". @chubachus is a professional in his field and understands our nation's rivers would look pretty funny, were the Potomac be suddenly re-rerouted or worse, not exist. :giggle:

james rvr landg.jpg

Really love the wagons on pontoons supplies loaded and headed out to camps. BUT- I think this IS James River, and City Point- note trees and a hill as opposed to the flat ( guessing unfortunate flood plain ) where Belle Plain Landing was photographed. Helpful?

Ok, edit a few minutes later. Here's a snip taken looking across the tiny bay, from the original Belle Plain photgraph. Perhaps there were several pontoon landings because this features a small hill, trees and what seems to be a supply landing on pontoons.
belle plain snip trees.JPG

mail james 2nd corp closer.JPG

HAD to see the men posing for a photo- their hats are amazing. Back to Belle Plain.

wagon train james.jpg

Lunch! Right? Love these shots of camp, daily life, as many scenes as you could wish for.

Last edited:
Can anyone make out the full name of the steamer from the original photo in this thread? Second word on the paddlebox looks like BROOKE.

ct5UoZf.jpg

Can anyone make out the full name of the steamer from the original photo in this thread? Second word on the paddlebox looks like BROOKE.

ct5UoZf.jpg

Could it be " MOORE "? It's a 3/4's shot so difficult to see- except the only " Moore " was CSS Governor Moore, burned. This looks like " .....CES MOORE or BROOKE ",

Wish you hadn't asked. I'm the worst navy researcher on the forum and will spend inept hours looking anyway just because I'm smitten.

Edit- OH wait. Could some of what looks like lettering just be part of the ship- and this be hospital steamer RC WOOD? Was steamer Louisiana, I do not think there are any photographs of the Louisiana/RC Wood?

Last edited:
GEE whiz. That's crazy. For one thing I've driven from just central PA to Portland and it takes a good 10 hours in 2016. ( another five, to where other troops hailed from- Lincoln's Civil War memorial still splits traffic through town ).. All those troops from Portland to DC should have been a nightmare and was done by April 3 in 1862, no interstates, barely roads. By month's end they're deep inside the war at Belle Plain.

belle pl landing crop 2017.JPG

Seeing wagons crowding out onto the pontoon landing gives you a better idea how big it was at Belle Plain.

belle plain  may 1864 crop.jpg

belle plain wagons 2017.JPG

I think this photo was included in a batch titled ' first landing ', Belle Plain? All are from LoC.

Back