Beer Cheese

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The legend in Kentucky is that beer cheese was served in taverns and restaurants along the River, usually as complimentary on the bar.

The best that can be remembered according to " A Second Serving", is that the cheese was introduced at Johnny Allman's restaurant on the Kentucky River at Boonesboro in the 1940s. Allman's cousin Joe, a chef in Phoenex, was said to have created it for the popular hangout. Allman said "we should have kept that cheese recipe a secret, but everybody on the river worked for us at one time or another and learned the recipe".

The best beer to use is the cheapest and the choice way to get it stale is to open a can or bottle and leave it in the refrigerator overnight. You just need a hint of beer.

Beer Cheese:

2 10 ounce sticks Cracker Barrel extra sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 cloves garlic
1 7 ounce bottle beer
1/8 teaspoon salt
tabasco sauce to taste

Grate cheese and garlic in a food processor; adding remaining ingredients, mixing until thoroughly blended. The mixture will be soft but will harden in the refrigerator. It is better if made ahead of time. Serve with crackers, celery sticks and radish roses.

From: "A Second Serving" Favorite recipes from "Lexington Herald-Leader", Fall 1998.

There was article on Beer Cheese in our paper this past Sunday. There is actually a Beer Cheese Festival in Winchester, Ky. The next one is scheduled for June 8, 2018.

Another recipe for beer cheese is from a Lexington, Ky. restaurant .

Smithtown Seafood West Sixth Porter Beer Cheese

2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Crystal hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon Lea & Perrine Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1 pound and 2 ounces sharp white cheddar, grated
1 cup West Sixth Brewing Pay It Forward Cocoa Porter

In food processor blend the garlic, onion, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt, cayenne pepper and mustard until smooth. Add 1/4 of the grated cheddar and continue processing until smooth. Then alternate between adding the porter and the rest of the cheese. When all of the beer and cheese has been added, scrape down the sides of the processor and continue to process until completely smooth.

Makes 5 cups.

There was article on Beer Cheese in our paper this past Sunday. There is actually a Beer Cheese Festival in Winchester, Ky. The next one is scheduled for June 8, 2018.

Another recipe for beer cheese is from a Lexington, Ky. restaurant .

Smithtown Seafood West Sixth Porter Beer Cheese

2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon Crystal hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon Lea & Perrine Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1 pound and 2 ounces sharp white cheddar, grated
1 cup West Sixth Brewing Pay It Forward Cocoa Porter

In food processor blend the garlic, onion, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt, cayenne pepper and mustard until smooth. Add 1/4 of the grated cheddar and continue processing until smooth. Then alternate between adding the porter and the rest of the cheese. When all of the beer and cheese has been added, scrape down the sides of the processor and continue to process until completely smooth.

Makes 5 cups.
I could really get into this,sounds awesome as i'm a cheese freak anyway.

The thread title alone....is click bait...It sounds like the shopping list my wife constantly accuses me of when I come back from grocery store...minus the meat factor:

SHE: 'all you ever buy is Meat, cheese, and beer!'

HE: '...well...yes, dear...that's why you have to come with me...otherwise I think we're all good...'

...now, I have to try it...

Donna. I never heard of Beer Cheese before. I love how you share these wonderful and delicious recipes and also provide additional relevant information about the product and it's possible uses. Thanks for sharing this recipe which I will have to try during the Super Bowl. David.

I lived in Lexington for three years and beer cheese was the only local food I liked. I used to drive down to a restaurant down in the gorge of the Kentucky river near old Boonsboro to get it. Not far from where Boone’s daughter was carried off by some Shawnees.

Last edited:
Back