1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

bayonet scabbard

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by skippy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. skippy

skippy Private

Greetings,

I have a scabbard that is similar to the Gaylord. The rivets are more widely spread. No makers Mark, and it also has loose stitching with an extra rivet to the neck. The brass tip is missing I see no holes were it could have affixed to the leather with brass nails. It looks as if the tip was glued to the leather. I'm not sure if the rivets are consistent with those of the Civil War. There are two bench mark holes on the frog. An original M1855 Springfield bayonet fits in the scabbard, but it exceeds the end of the scabbard as the brass tip is missing.

The scabbard has not been cleaned, it is how I received it.
    I'm not sure though if this is original time period.

Could I have some input on how legitimate it could be.

Thank you

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      70.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      73.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      34.7 KB
      Views:

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. shanniereb

shanniereb First Sergeant

It almost looks like a Confederate made copy, that is my first impression. What is the scabbard tip made from? Is it just leather? I say that because of the crudeness of the make and there being no maker's mark. Just took another look, I would say Confederate because it does not have a brass throat or a brass scabbard tip. I will look it up in some of my books and see what I can come up with.

4. skippy

skippy Private

Greetings shanniereb,

Thank you for your reply

An original M1855 Springfield bayonet fits in the scabbard, but it exceeds the end of the scabbard as the brass tip is missing. The leather is playable, weak at some spots. I am worried about the lineup of the rivets how far spread
    they are and the neck part moves way over to the frog, (were the first row of rivets are). I have not seen this style
    before. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been made by a sub-contractor if original. It is certainly not a Gaylord.

5. johan_steele

johan_steele Lt. Colonel Retired Moderator

It isn't CS, I doubt it's ACW. Looks like an older Paki made repop.

6. shanniereb

shanniereb First Sergeant

Like a Pakistanian repro? I didn't think of that, the stuff they are selling at reenactments now is mostly that cheaply made repop stuff. Almost looks like you have been to a Civil War dollar store, except you are paying department store prices. Those rivets would have green cankering around them too with patina if original. Hmm..........

7. skippy

skippy Private

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)