1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Battle of Franklin

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Gen. States Rights Gist, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Gen. States Rights Gist

Gen. States Rights Gist Cadet

1.) Can anyone give me the list of 24 Generals involved on the Confederate side in the Battle of Franklin? I read in the book, "The Last Hurrah". It states 4 wounded, 6 KIA, and 1 wounded captured but, I see 2 were wounded and captured (George Washington Gordon and William Andrews Quarles). I appreciate the time if someone can give the list. 2.) Also is it true Schofield could have been surrounded from a cavalry and infantry attack along the river instead of a suicidal frontal assault? I just dont understand Hood's tactics so irrational!!! 3.) Also technically wouldn't John Herbert Kelly be a casualty for the Generals KIA in Franklin since, he was mortally wounded in Franklin on Sept. 2 1864?

Thanks
    Thomas

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke First Sergeant

By The Last Hurrah do you mean Wiley Sword's book? If so, my edition has an order of battle in the back listing all the generals.
  4. Gen. States Rights Gist

Thanks

I will check this out! Thank you for the heads up any other comments on the other two questions would love to hear them?
  5. Elennsar

Elennsar Lt. Colonel

Question 2 has been argued by Eric, Trice, and myself. It appears that it was at least possible for Hood to try something else. Whether that something else would have worked - uncertain. But it was not "attack here and now, or never have any sort of opportunity to attack again".

Question 3: As I understand it - someone who has served in the military might be able to give a better answer - KIA is just that. Killed during the action. MWIA is its own state. Also, the battle of Franklin - or the one usually recognized by that name - is after Kelly's mortal wounds.

According to my copy of Sword's book:

Commanders are brigade level unless otherwise stated.
    Zachariah C. Deas: Wounded at Franklin.
    Arthur M. Manigault: Wounded at Franklin
    John Adams: KIA at Franklin.
    Thomas M. Scott: Wounded at Franklin.
    Francis M. Cockrell: Wounded at Franklin.
    William A. Quarles: Wounded at Franklin.
    Patrick Cleburne (Division): KIA at Franklin.
    Hiram B. Granbury: KIA at Franklin.
    John C. Brown (division): Wounded at Franklin.
    States Rights Gist: KIA at Franklin.
    John C. Carter: MWIA at Franklin.
    Otho F. Strahl: KIA at Franklin.

Total: 5 KIA, 1 MWIA, six wounded.

George W. Gordon was captured, but there is no comment of him being wounded.

The others were not visbibly hurt or impaired yet.
  6. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

General Gist: I think you're our first from Vegas. It would be appreciated if you'd go over to the newbie forum and introduce yourself. We don't bite. Promise.

Ole
  7. larry_cockerham

larry_cockerham Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011

I think Hood's actions as previously discussed were rational, just unfortunate. In my own research tracking the AOT through that part of the war as well as Wilson's Union Cavalry (4th US), I've seen many orders from Hood that may me believe he was lucid, if perhaps not sensitive and a little headstrong. As for the "attack along the river", that's essentially what Loring and Forrest did during the battle. The Harpeth bends significantly to the west just as the railroad is approached from the eastern flank. That point is essentially in line with the main Federal force to the west. Some of the most severe fighting took place at that point. A small tract of land on Lewisburg Pike at the railroad has recently been acquired by the folks at Franklin and is now preserved. When Forrest spoke to Hood about a flanking effort (with infantry as well as mounted), I've been informed that Forrest was talking about flanking to the west, not the east. Hood probably knew or thought he didn't have the time, which for the attack that occurred, was probably true. Forrest had already encountered Hatch, Croxton and Hammond on the eastern crossing of the Harpeth and had been driven back that morning. Yes, Hood's decision was a costly one. To know his thoughts requires more of an insight than I've seen. Unlike Forrest, who spoke succintly and to the point, Hood was a little harder to understand. Hood had, to my meager knowledge, never seen Franklin prior to that day. Forrest was born forty miles away and had been there in skirmish and scouting efforts, not to mention just passing through, many times. If Forrest told me he could do something, I'd have stepped out of his way.
  8. larry_cockerham

Some of us are getting up in years, and perhaps don't have that many teeth. What Ole would have said, or will say, is 'welcome aboard'.
  9. ole

General Gist joined us in the chat room last night. He's been vetted there, and exposed to the nitty-grubby. A more formal welcome might happen with his "hey, I'm here" introduction on the newbie forum wherein I can offer him ONE free beer.
  10. EricJacobson

EricJacobson Sergeant

If you want to have any real sense of what Hood was thinking at Franklin, Sword's book is not the one to read. In addition to allegations of laudanum abuse (no evidence), trying to impress his girlfriend (whatever...and also no evidence), and intentionally murdering his men (rather self-defeating in my opinion), Sword's book is a series of personal slams against Hood.

It is extremely well written, but it is so biased against Hood one cannot get any sense of what was really happening in Tennessee that fall.

I would suggest reading Five Tragic Hours for a much more balanced treatment of Hood.

Eric
  11. EricJacobson

EricJacobson Sergeant

Gen. Kelly was mortally wounded during Wheeler's September 1864 raid. Although he died at the Harrison House south of Franklin, his death had nothing to do with what occurred on Nov. 30, 1864.

Eric
  12. EricJacobson

EricJacobson Sergeant

Are you looking for every Rebel general that was at Franklin or just a list of those who became casualties?

Eric
  13. Gen. States Rights Gist

Generals

Looking for every Rebel general that took part in the Battle of Franklin.
  14. EricJacobson

EricJacobson Sergeant

Here is a list of those who were engaged off the top of my head. I did not inclcude the two divisions of Lee's Corps which were not involved in the battle:

John Bell Hood
    Nathan Bedford Forrest
    William Hicks Jackson
    Abraham Buford
    James R. Chalmers
    A. P. Stewart
    S. D. Lee
    Benjamin Franklin Cheatham
    W. W. Loring
    John Adams
    Winfield Scott Featherston
    Thomas M. Scott
    Edward C. Walthall
    William Quarles
    Charles Shelley
    Daniel Reynolds
    Samuel G. French
    Francis Marion Cockrell
    Claudius W. Sears
    Patrick R. Cleburne
    Hiram B. Granbury
    Mark P. Lowrey
    Daniel C. Govan
    John C. Brown
    George W. Gordon
    Otho F. Strahl
    States Rights Gist
    John C. Carter
    William B. Bate
    Henry Jackson
    Thomas Benton Smith
    Edward Johnson
    Arthur C. Manigault
    Zachariah Deas
    Jacob Sharp
    William F. Brantley

Hope this helps,

Eric A. Jacobson
  15. larry_cockerham

"off the top of my head"....... Your head must have more brains than mine. 'Wouldn't surprise me too much.
  16. ole

Sword is not a Hood fan. Take it from there.

Ole
  17. Severon

Severon Cadet

Your absolutely correct Ole!
  18. ole

Telling History: Do not be overly concerned whether or not you're in the right thread. It's appreciated that keeping them kosher is attempted, but you're not going to be pilloried for doing what we all do, one time or another.

Ole
  19. Severon

Severon Cadet

Hear, hear!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)