1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Battle at Athens, AL

Discussion in 'New Recruits Meet & Greet Area' started by Edward Castor, May 10, 2012.

1. Edward Castor

Edward Castor Cadet

Lt. John H Castor with the 102nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was captured at the Garrison at Athens, AL and taken to Meridian, MS. He was exchanged in December 1864. He spent some time in a prison camp in Meridian, MS. Was wondering where I mite find some information about that prison camp?

JWheeler331 likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. 101stmp

101stmp Sergeant

On here there is a universe of information. There are excellent peeps who will deff help you out the best they can. And welcome from New York.

4. Union_Buff

Union_Buff Captain Forum Host

Hello there and welcome to CWT from New Zealand :smile:

5. tmh10

tmh10 Major

6. richard

richard Sergeant

Meridian was a drop off point for prisoners. Just a few miles west was a POW camp that held only officers, the rest were sent to other camps. You mentioned that he was captured at Athens, was that during Forrest's September 1864 raid? If so, he was more than likely held at Enterprise, Miss. Most of the officers that were held there were sent to Memphis in late November for exchange. From there they traveled to St Louis and then to Camp Chase in Ohio. I have a very good account of life in that camp if you would care to read it.

7. Edward Castor

Edward Castor Cadet

Yes, he was captured by Forrest at Athens in 1864. I'd love to read the account of life in that camp.

JWheeler331 likes this.
  8. richard

richard Sergeant

The account that I have can also be found on Google Books. It is the history of the 9th Indiana Cavalry by Comstock. I hope that helps.

9. M E Wolf

M E Wolf Brigadier General Moderator

Edward Castor,

I look forward to your future postings here and in many of the forums here. We're finding; is that some names are shared by other states, same with roads. So, if you will - when you are talking about Arlington, please denote which one-- Arlington, Virginia, Arlington, Texas, etc. Columbia Pike, is another common road term; so it would help to know where this road is--Virginia or elsewhere. That way, we're able to follow your topic/words/comments and observations.

Please know there are no quotas but, certainly want to hear from you.

Post when you feel comfortable in doing so and at your own speed.

No limits on how much you post.

References are wonderful if you have them. It is great to go to the same book, page and read as another poster has; to read all of what that page has to offer. I like official records myself. So, I post all the information I can as to share.

Personal opinions and comments are welcomed also. So, don't feel this forum requires only references as to post comments about. However, I must mention that it does help when it is expressed when a post is a personal opinion or a statement of facts.

I look forward to your posts. Forums are habit forming, especially when there are new discoveries and pictures.

Respectfully,
    M. E. Wolf

10. jessgettysburg1863

jessgettysburg1863 2nd Lieutenant

Welcome to the site and hello
    from Australia.

Jess :D:smile:.

11. Gandycreek

Gandycreek Sergeant Major

Welcome from West Virginia.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)